Just bought a 1996 international 4900 DT466 -HELP-

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Neo_Ocelot, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Neo_Ocelot

Neo_Ocelot Bobtail Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Greetings,

I have purchased a 1996 international 4900 DT466 w/Automatic transmission 100,000mi paid 5k

This is my first commercial vehicle though I have always worked on my own cars and trucks. I have been driving it for a few months now getting a feel for it, and I have more questions than I can probably remember to mention here.

When i got it the front driver leaf spring was completely severed, got a replacement at a salvage and I was on the road. it has a reefer box but no reefer unit.

I'm about to make my first long trip soon an would like to do some routine maintenance.
    A close look at my transmission case and I see I'm leaking fluid out my rear seal.
    Oil looks used and I'm sure needs a change and filter.

I cant find a service manual for this thing anywhere.
    1. What weight of motor oil and how much? (moving to Minnesota)
    2. What kind of tyranny fluid and how much?
    3. When and how often should I bleed water from brake lines and fuel?
    4. should I change rear Differential fluid?
    5. how do I find out what transmission I have and where do I get this seal? (how hard is it to do)
    6. for jacking up the truck will a beefy bottle jack do? (20ton)
    7. If i wanted to check my brakes, Is a impact gun required or can i get by with a breaker bar?
    Any other thoughts or comments?

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Shoot, I just Googled "Service Manual for 1996 international 4900 DT466 w/Automatic transmission," and got a whole bunch of hits.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    1- 15W40 oil for diesel engines. usually around 26 litres.
    2- This will have an Allison 2000 series in it. Usually synthetic Allison approved, not cheap. No sure on capacity, but I think around 14 litres?
    3- Check for moisture every day with a new truck until you are confident it stays dry. It should not be wet, if it is the air dryer is not working. Fuel, get fuel at reputable fuel depots. Usually nobody drains a water separator until it is filter change time. If you are getting that much water in the fuel system, then you are getting bad fuel.
    4- Take a sample from the bottom plug. If it looks like spoiled chocolate milk, then yes.
    5- If you give me the last 8 digits from your VIN I can see what the truck was built with, but it probably has an Allison 2000 series. The seal would available at any Allison dealer. I would recommend a professional for this due to seal installing tools needed.
    6- Yes, use jack stands too.
    7- Yes, you need a 3/4 or 1" gun to break those nuts loose. They are torqued to 450-500 foot pounds of torque when installing, but usually harder coming off due to rust!

Neo_Ocelot Thanks this.
  5. Neo_Ocelot

Jul 30, 2016
    5- If you give me the last 8 digits from your VIN I can see what the truck was built with, but it probably has an Allison 2000 series. The seal would available at any Allison dealer. I would recommend a professional for this due to seal installing tools needed.

Here is the Vin
    TH271072

Thanks bro!

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Neo_Ocelot Thanks this.
  7. Neo_Ocelot

Jul 30, 2016
    I live in San Antonio, TX. can you recommend someone to me for this type of work? there is a AAA-1 Commercial Truck Tire near here.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I am not familiar with the area, but check your local listings for a reputable shop that is an Allison Transmission dealer, these are usually the major bigger truck dealers. Since your truck is an International, I would recommend the local International dealer. Most of them are also an Allison dealer too.

Neo_Ocelot Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.