Just finished training with Werner

Discussion in 'Werner' started by X-Country, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Wade68

Wade68 Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Port Richey, FL
    Awesome thread. Recent grad of Roadmaster in Tampa. Have a conditional offer w/Covenant, but also applied with Werner. Nice to see the experiences from day one to almost a year. Thank you very much. Wade. Rubber side down girl. B safe.

X-Country Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

As it is with any company and the posters who complain about them. My experience is the happy drivers have good things to say and the unhappy drivers don't.

4. DenaliDad

Good for you for sticking it out through the tough times. Most don't and you're getting the rewards due.

X-Country Thanks this.
  5. RickJP

RickJP Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Boca Raton, FL
    Congrats on your success.

I've had a pre-hire letter from Werner since the first day I started truck driving school. My options, being in South Florida, are much different, but the last time I spoke to my recruiter, I could get into a regional route on the coach fleet option out of the Atlanta area.

Having read many other posts that bashed Werner, and having spoken to a guy who graduated 3 weeks ago from my same school, and who's working for Armellini, I was pretty much dead set in NOT going with Werner, and going with Roehl, or Schneider. But, after reading your posts, I'm calling my recruiter tomorrow to discuss the coach fleet option again and see how it would benefit me over the previous two.

Schneider only hires teams out of my area and I've already gotten consent from a classmate to team up. But, he's stalling on doing the app and I need to move on if he's not. And Roehl is ready to bring me on board. The idea of being flown up to the mid-west to do my 3 weeks OTR, and being flown back home (at the carrier's expense) to do my 7 days off is a nice one, but if I can get home every 5 days for 2 days off, I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Shabbat.

FYI, in 8 months you're now making what took me 18 years in my previous career (Paralegal), and a Bachelors Degree in that field, to earn. Then again, and in my defense, I am the wrong gender for that profession, since it's 90% female dominated.

Glad to read about your success.

6. DenaliDad

What is the "coach fleet?"

7. RickJP

RickJP Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Boca Raton, FL
    It's a regional route based close to Atlanta. You do two weeks OTR (I believe) and get on a Werner coach that takes you home http://www.wernercoach.com/werner-fleet/. Time on the coach does not count towards your home time. I believe it's two weeks on/3 days off.

I'll confirm tomorrow and will post more details.

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  8. X-Country

X-Country Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2014
    ask about Anheuser Busch dedicated out of Jacksonville I believe. steady pay, weekends off (wk every other saturday). $800-$900 week.

9. RickJP

RickJP Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Boca Raton, FL
    I did. That dedicated route is not available for South Florida residents, but I was told that there is a Home Depot dedicated and a Flat Bed dedicated available in my area.

Have given a lot of consideration to Roehl's offer and to Werner's offer (Coach Fleet option), and I've decided to go with Werner. So I won't have 7 days off in a row and I'll make .05 cpm less than I would with Roehl. But, looking at the map and the areas where Roehl operates, and in light of certain family circumstances I need to keep in close mind, I believe that I will have more opportunities to earn money with an area that spans all states east of Minnesota's western border, than the states where Roehl operates. So, I'll take two weeks on and 2 days off vs 3 weeks on and 7 days off for the opportunity to 1- have better training (I don't care for operating solo in the northern mid-west during the cold months with no cold weather commercial vehicle driving experience and only 13 days of training) and 2- have a better opportunity to make $$. Roehl was going to have to fly me home and back, and the drive from Lithia Springs to my home in Boca Raton would only be 10 hrs by motor coach.

Besides, I was told that the moment I get an employee number at Werner, I can put my name on the list for the dedicated routes that are near my home. X-Country, would you be kind enough to confirm whether that's true?

But, the icing on the cake was the 5K sign on bonus that Werner offered vs no sign on bonus with Roehl, which will off-set the pay difference with only an $18.00 deficit (Werner v. Roehl). I can live with that, if it means an opportunity to visit family in Texas during any of my runs to So. TX.

Look forward to your feedback X-Country.

Hope to see you sometime on the road.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    X-Country Thanks this.
  10. X-Country

X-Country Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2014
    if you put your name in now you will be guaranteed a spot after you finish training.

11. RickJP

RickJP Bobtail Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Boca Raton, FL
    Good to know. Got to see how certain things work out and I'll decide when I go to training. OTOH, if I get the Home Depot dedicated, I will lose the 5K sign on bonus, so I was told.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.