Just getting our Hot shot business going

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Jacob STB, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Jacob STB

Jacob STB Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2016
    We are getting bombarded by dispatching services. Has anyone ever heard of djt dispatching out of Florida

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Don't pay attention to anything you get in mail, etc. I'm assuming you've already got some work lined up. Dispatch yourself.

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Ha. For every guy that gets work lined up, 1000 more go out and buy a truck and get an mc # expecting the customers to start beating their doors down.

Not_Here_Long and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    It's tough out there right now. Especially with a little truck.

6. TnRex

TnRex Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2015
    From everything I've read, this could potentially be a challenging year to break into the hotshot sector. I wish you all the best and God bless

7. cariaf30

cariaf30 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2016
    disagree. i started out afew months ago and am making decent cash a week with a rental. between $1700-2000 a week after all my expenses. will have enough cash saved up in 6 months to buy my own truck. so all in all it just depends on who you work for/with.

8. Bdr2431

Bdr2431 Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2016
    Let me know when you get ready to buy that trailer. I hook you up. Looking to get rid of mine. Wish I had been smart enough to rent.

9. SpeedRite

SpeedRite Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2017
    I'm starting up now, what are you running and where were you getting all of your work lined up when you posted this one?

10. samcperez

samcperez Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2016
    Don't believe everything you read on here.The only thing easy about money is loosing it !! Be careful and do your homework and draw up a business plan figuring out who your customers will be,do more than you say your gonna do and then be VERY frugal with your money and credit and THEN you may have a chance at success.

Western flyer and Lite bug Thank this.
  11. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    There is a middle place. When you first start out, there are very few companies that will give you loads. So start with them. But remember, all whom say they have loads for you (outside of companies) , or say they have access to loads are often full of crap. I got most of my loads running under only my DOT number in the beginning, because an entity failed to do what they were paid to do.

So it took longer than expected to get my authority. However, we were still able to book loads, even with the SAFER site showing "Not Authorized" in red letters. That was for the MC number, not the DOT, but some companies didn't know the difference. Now that I have my authority, there are still a few companies/brokers that won't give me a carrier agreement until my authority matures (most want 90 to 120 days). Still, we do not have a problem at all booking loads. I have more issues with my driver, and finding other drivers than I do finding loads.

As samcperez said, do more. Communicate often with the people who's loads you pull. Attitude is everything in this industry, and in life for that matter. You will get repeat business by giving great service to brokerages.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.