Just got fined a whopping $5600, need a good lawyer

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by teamgreen1, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    It sure focking works that way! Not trying to be a peckerhead above, Man, sometimes have to play the stupid game and say okay.

I hate going/from the race track with a open loaded trailer with tools and tires and a have the TBSS on the deck. I'm barely over 8,000 pounds. The C5 z06 no issues ever. Always a big looking SUV on a open deck the cops want to play games.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    It is what it is. Live and learn.
    Get a different trailer or get a CDL.

Good luck, most of those tickets get reduced quite a bit when you go to court.

4. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    So you knew what you had to do. And you didn't. And now you're on the hook for $5600. Good for you.

SHO-TYME Thanks this.
  5. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    If he gets a lawyer it will be reduced. Get the lawyer, wear a suit and be presentable to the judge, the judge will reduce it considerably.

6. LGarrison

LGarrison Road Train Member

May 19, 2011
    Sandpoint Idaho
    What was your actual loaded when you was given this ticket? Let's see the GVW of the truck and the trailer, load total weight . Numbers don't add up.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Reason for edit: added to post
  7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    LGarrison and tinytim Thank this.
  8. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Truth is she didn't find anything with the vin number. She saw your previous ticket and went off that, if you would have had a vin plate with the correct lower GVWR there is nothing she could have done.

Your only real option now is a class A or a new trailer (with the correct GVWR).

LGarrison and flatbedcarrier Thank this.
  9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Scratching the sticker off, and lowering the trailers registration weight. I think that's just going to get him in even more hot water. Next time they stop him they'll just go off the trailer axle ratings when they notice that the sticker is gone. And they'll be all over this when they see the previous violations in their computers. It's gonna come off as a sneaky move and they're not going to go easy on him.

Most trailer mfgr's have no problem lowering the rating for a guy trying yo run under CDL. Maybe it's something to do with this particular trailer, or the types of axles that are under it?

10. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    I don't see why the government thinks its ok to fine a guy $5,600 for improper registration when he is clearly not aware of what the requirements are. Yeah slap him with a fine, but $5600? Anyone heard of the 8th amendment?

11. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Just FYI, I heard tonight they have raised the fine for operating OOS from $3700 to $4700.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.