Just got New CDL in maryland

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lhw84lee, Jul 28, 2016.

1. lhw84lee

lhw84lee Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    I just got CDL and been looking for a good company to start with. I live in Southern Maryland near border of D.C. Having two babie which makes me worry about not just money but also hometime.
    Any good companies to start with? have double, tanker and looking forward to have hazmat in 1 month.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Congratulations on the new CDL. With a family to support you need some decent paychecks for sure. Old Dominion hires new cdl grads and there's lots of that around your area. I'd check with them by making a visit to the terminals and ask for an application and interview. They don't have online application, so you need to just visit a terminal. Check the ones around DC and Northern Virginia. They have linehaul and P&D. Linehaul is best because it's just drop and hook. P&D is rough because it's city driving with maybe 20 + stops a day.
    Sometimes Old Dominion send recruiters to cdl schools looking for drivers. Maybe you can locate a recruiter and find out which terminals have openings.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    lhw84lee Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Congratulations.

Now I was raised in Maryland and know exactly where you are more or less.

DM Bowman of Williamsport or Frederick will have you home every weekend (Williamsport, dry van southern states and Frederick is flatbed for Tamko, Lowes dedicated railhead hagerstown etc and Bulk Tanker Lime from Bittenger PA on the old 30 near Gettysburg coming back to Tamko Shingle in Frederick and other places. You will be home daily. But not after filling out your max hours as much as possible each day.

Next idea is Seagirt and Baltimore Ports. You will need to get a TWIC card to access these facilities due to Homeland security post 9-11.

Another idea is Butler Aviation based in KBWI, running about shuttling fuel to aircraft from the tank farm there. They may or may not have installed pipe to fuel planes at gate these days.

You have a mess of flatbedding, Bulk Tanker, Hahn of New Market, Fuel, Bulk Tanker Cement from Lime Kiln to a radius of 300 miles each day. You best learn to run the mountains in ice and sleet with that. No excuses.

Finally there are a mess of trucks south of you in the Manassas area running about all the time near 66. I have no idea where they go, there is a quarry near Strasburg VA/Harpers Ferry, West Virginia has a hell of a lumber yard taking off railcars and shipping east flatbedding... Rippon I think.. Plus a large Capitol Cement outfit near Morgantown which itself is a mess of industry, brick is west of williamsport too.

On and on and on.

In time you will gain oppertunity to hire on with anyone in trucking once you prove you can stay with someone at least a year, or better two years before quitting or making trouble. A golden ticket.

Now you say you have babies at home. That makes you local daily. Beer delivery is a option. Soda delvery too. Or any number of dump truck operators that infest that area.

Good luck!

lhw84lee Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's some other decent companies that hire new cdl grads for longhaul runs and they have pretty decent benefits.
    Abilene Motor Express
    J&R Schugel
    Freymiller
    National Carriers
    Magnum Ltd.
    Tyson Foods
    McElroy - home weekends
    Dynamic Transit
    All the above hire new cdl grads. If website has "experience required" then the website isn't up to date. Do the online applications then follow with a phone call.

lhw84lee Thanks this.
  6. Skinny P

Skinny P Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    You could try Sysco in Sterling they might pick you up if you have a clean MVR. But they will work you with loading and unloading. Most local gigs that are worth anything will require at least 6 months experience, and the top tier jobs will require 2 years. Dump truck outfits will usually train and might be the best route to stay close to home. DM Bowman is an option, but I must warn you that DM Bowman will make a lot of promises that they can't deliver on ( at least in my opinion, I worked there and didn't last past the 6th $300 check). But, I will give you this piece of advice, when you do get somewhere stay put. Top Tier companies hate seeing 4 or 5 jobs in a 12 month period.

lhw84lee and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Pepsi in hyattsville/bladensburg area.

8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Times have changed on DM Bowman. In Flatbedding I was running wood, Aluminum or shingle as described taking in about 550 net per week plus a perfect 65 dollar bonus cash for tripmaster computer compliance each week after downloading daily at end of day. (That shows my age...) I once was offered the yard jockey mack with the twin shift to shuttle tamko to the yard a short distance all day. I should have taken that. But I was too new and intimidated by the twin shift stick. (No biggie now, lo lo, lo then high and how high? You never go fast enough that far anyway.)

Box to the south was really difficult 55 mph company speed in a land of 80 mph trucks back then. Time of terror for me way over here in the far right. They at least gave me a cherry CH Mack when my old 87 COE freight shaker was sold. (Clean out your truck driver... OMG!! AM I FIRED>? No. Your truck is sold. Here is a brand new mack... enjoy)

Payroll came out to about 2000 dollars a month net. Apartment rent was 560 monthly. Ugh.

lhw84lee Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    ooh. Bladensburg.

Long dead memories of Landover with Giant Foods. And Terra Cotta cement deliveries deep into DC.

I shudder to think all the ####e I put up with fighting that godawful DC crap. I put a stop to that #### by quitting and finding a company that will allow me to bypass that ####### cursed city on US 15 running in the peaceful woods by the river.

God, I was such a #### in DC back then. Not a professional at all. Stressed to the max fighting BMW's full of lawyers and politicians being rammed through the center of 495 in wailing motorcades. Who the #### do they think they are???

Burn DC we can make a nicer place then from scratch. /rant.

10. lhw84lee

lhw84lee Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Thanks for information around area. It is really helpful to get the idea what opportunities around where i live.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Abilene is based in Richmond,VA
    All those companies will probably hire you though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.