Just Some Questions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ShowinHisMercy, Jul 30, 2015.

1. ShowinHisMercy

ShowinHisMercy Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello y'all,

Well, I finished CDL school with all my endorsements last month. I have had some difficulty
    finding a company that isn't going to shoot me in the foot because my job history isn't great.

I did have two jobs this last year then was unemployed for 6 years or so.
    I have tried starting companies like Knight, but when I talked to them they said,
    "they will not take anyone with more than one year of unemployment in a three year
    window."

One company I am considering is Celadon. For all y'all people who have jokes on here yes, I
    know they are not the best rated company or pay the best. What, I do know is the do
    have a refresher course that might be helpful to me.

Now, I do want to be honest and say I got twelve points on the backing skill test (Straight-line, offset, parallel.) For the road test I maxed it out with thirty points. So, this should paint a picture of
    my situation. For y'all that work at Celadon do you think this company will help me grow
    in my career or do you feel another company will be a better fit for me?

Many thanks and blessing for those that can give any help or advise.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    The backing tests for your CDL are really just about useless in the real world. Rarely (ie never) will you go into a perfect 90 degree backing set up like you do on backing tests and the who the hell does a blind side parallel park? That's something you only do if you must and that is about as common as an albino alligator. Really when it comes to backing it's something to get good at you got to do over and over and over again. Once you back up a few thousand times it becomes easy. It just boils down to practice and more practice and even more practice. Learning to watch your wheels and where they are going and reacting to that. Honestly the backing tests actually can set you up for failure because people worry so much about set up instead of just learning how to deal with the fact you will not always have a good set up for backing and learning how to deal with that instead of always trying to get a good set up.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    Puppage Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wow, still no luck.
    Try these as a last resort:
    Young's Transportation - Fresno, CA
    M.Bjorn Peterson Transportation - Glendale, AZ
    Waste Management
    Shamrock Foods Company
    NFI Industries
    PROPAK Corporation - yard hostler
    Reddaway - straight truck
    Hensley Beverage Co.
    U-Haul - tranferring trucks between facilities
    Reddy Ice
    U.S. Foods - fueler/washer
    Western Express

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.