KEEN Transport

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by JMurphy1, Nov 21, 2015.

1. JMurphy1

JMurphy1 Light Load Member

May 3, 2015
    CT
    Hi guys and gals,

I am looking into KEEN Transport to run heavy equipment. There does not appear to be a specific section for them, such as is the case with many other companies on here. If any current, or former, drivers for them have any information/experience/first-hand knowledge, I would love to bend your ear.

I have spoken with a recruiter for them but you know how that can be. I am currently running flatbed for TMC, about 17 months, (I know still a greenhorn); but have my sights set on bigger freight (and less/no tarps).

Much appreciated all...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    Heard they got bought out a while back, but never heard if it changed any for the better or worse.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    No offense meant to TMC drivers, but Keen would be a huge step up. They have worlds more options if you're looking for a challenge.

What I would do is find a Keener pulling in to a parking lot around sundown and ask him about his company.

5. JMurphy1

May 3, 2015
    CT
    Thanks Canned Spam, I hadn't heard that. What I have heard from several people is that it has changed since the "old man" left. That typically goes without saying when there is a change-in-command.

6. JMurphy1

May 3, 2015
    CT
    Appreciate the suggestion TripleSix. I have had the pleasure of speaking with one "Keener", as you call them, he was very helpful. A former TMC driver of nine years and has hauled for KEEN now for nine also.

7. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    I only know Keen from their league city operation. We use to pick up from their, never talked to their drivers too much but they seemed content. But none of the local rgn drivers wanted to work for keen.

But as six has said, I will say it from a different angle, if you have an opportunity to move up after only 17 months, take it. Opportunities to move up are hard and rare to come by. If they are bad, you can suck it up for 2 years and have invaluable experience to go somewhere better.

If I were you, I would take it IF you could put up with a less than ideal experience for 2 years for a much better future. Otherwise it will take you 2 years to build the experience in flatbed to get an opportunity in rgn at a good company under ideal circumstances.

8. JMurphy1

May 3, 2015
    CT
    Thanks macavoy. My plan is to stick it out with TMC for about two years, another 6-7 months. I had talked to some TMC John Deere specialized haulers, getting mixed feelings from them. I live in CT, Northeast shipping for JD, TMC side, seems pretty slim, some saying I might make it home but 2 or 3 times a year!! Not happening!

KEEN appealed to me because they run a good deal of equipment up and down the East coast. I have no problem staying out for long periods of time, but months isn't part of it. I think KEEN would give me the freight I've been hoping to haul, heavy equipment, construction and mining. I'm looking to gain the experience and challenges of the work.

9. macavoy

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Around here, the keen drivers are pretty much local drivers. But my impression of them, is that they have a tonne of safety rules. I'm all about safety but there is a difference between knowing what is safe in the field and what some guy in a suit crunching numbers thinks what is safe.

That's my impression of keen. I load equipment 3-8 times a day on my trailer, I know how to load my trailer. But if you pick up at keen, they load your trailer.

I'll bite my tongue and delete what I wrote about that.

10. macavoy

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    That being said, I probably would have went to work for them if I didn't get the opportunities I did and use them as a stepping stone.

For that purpose, I'd recommend them.

11. JMurphy1

May 3, 2015
    CT
    I do appreciate your honesty macavoy.

I work for a safety-conscious carrier now, and have no problem with that. Besides, I come from the construction arena, 25+ years, I actually expect everyone to be safe and even question (or scratch my head) why some aren't.

I agree with your statement concerning what the "suit" thinks is safe and what the "guy-in-the-trenches" knows is safe, big difference!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.