Keep your head on a swivel...

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Knucklehead619, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Knucklehead619

Knucklehead619 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Flyover Country
    I was heading home to SD on I-15 SB (just north of the 91) this afternoon when this happened:

Unfortunately I don't have a rear facing camera on my tractor. What you don't see in the video is after the tire goes rolling by the right side of my truck it comes VERY close to the cement mixer you see at the start of the video, he swerves right and the Ford Ranger behind him hits the still upright and rolling tire, GOES AIRBORNE and somehow manages to stay upright and get to the shoulder. I went back and talked to the high-school age kid driving the pickup and he says he had less than a second to realize why the truck in front of him dodged right before the tire hit him dead center.

NOTE: For those of you about to ask why I was in the left lane in CA (which is a pretty big no-no)... right before the video starts I had just started passing the cement mixer (I got in the 2 lane)... only to have the Porsche SUV almost hit me trying to squeeze in between me and the cement mixer. I jumped one more lane over to let that idiot through.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigHeadWeb

BigHeadWeb Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2015
    GTA, Ontario
    Where the hell did that tire come from?

4. Knucklehead619

Knucklehead619 Medium Load Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Flyover Country
    It was the spare from the Silverado. Look at 0:26 in the video and you'll see it (and the hardware that was holding it on) drop from under the bed of the truck and flip upright.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    The most neglected item on pretty much every pickup truck in existance.

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  6. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Mine was takin out to fit my dual exhaust. Lol.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    See that spare drop out. Big deal. Cement mixer has a very little time and space to deal with something like that. I should know Ive been there. Im not trying to be difficult, but that little SUV there in the middle is such a pig. And possibly you being that far left... eh.. not good. I see why it was done so I wont yell too much.

I got a spare under my Tahoe and it's like the sorriest rig up you ever saw under there, Im actually ashamed it's in the condition it's in. Ive plans to make that right one of these days....

8. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Lol this happen to me a few year back! Guess people should start checking their spare tires

tucker Thanks this.
  9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Love it. Only a 4 wheeler would try to stop in the hammer lane.

allniter Thanks this.
  10. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Moments like this make me glad that the spare tire to my Jeep Cherokee is mounted inside in the cargo area.

11. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Meh, doesn't seem to be a big deal these days. Only a year ago, I never saw trucks in the 3rd lane, now every week I'm over there I see multiple truck running the 3rd lane. Most of the time it's on the 10 or 60 Eastbound through Pomona & Ontario.

Socal Xpress Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.