Kenworth fuel gauge testing process

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RockyMtnKw, Nov 24, 2015.

1. RockyMtnKw

RockyMtnKw Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2015
    I am testing the fuel gauge on my 1996 Kenworth t600 . The testing procedure states as follows .
    Turn key to off position . Connect a jumper wire between S terminal of the gauge and the G terminal or ground. Turn the key switch to ON but do not start . If gauge reads FULL then gauge is good . If gauge reads less than full then gauge is bad and must be replaced .

When I do this test procedure my gauge bottoms out at below empty, not full when I test another fuel gauge I have it tests out the same

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RockyMtnKw

RockyMtnKw Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Sorry about that in complete thread the thread auto posted for some reason..
    As I was stating in previous post
    I test another fuel gauge I have and it test out the same bottoms out below empty . I am reluctant to purchase another fuel gauge from Kenworth and not have it fix the problem . My question is 1 am I testing the Kenworth fuel gauge the correct way . 2 do other Kenworth fuel gauges test out this way or do they read full when tested this way. 3 is there another way to test a Kenworth fuel gauge . Thank you for any help.

4. pup

pup Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2011
    n.h.
    The test you are doing is a common test although i usually ground the s terminal at the fuel level sensor. That way is a quick way to see if its the sensor or the guage. If the guage reads full it tells you the guage & wiring to it are ok. Are you testing the guage while in the dash or on the bench? If you are testing while in the dash, make sure the ground terminal is actually a good ground & the terminals are installed correctly. I would test one of guages using a battery & some wires on the bench. See if it tests correctly. Temperature guages can be tested in the same manner.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.