Kenworth ran out of fuel and abandoned. How to get it running?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by slat, Aug 17, 2012.

1. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Starting fluid won't hurt it if you do it right. It's the drivers that get carried away and the engine racing when it's a problem. Do like everyone said and try to get about 40 gallons of fuel in it if you can, prime filters, take the air cleaner out and give it two short shots of starting fluid while someone cranks it. It'll try to quit and give it short shots as needed until the fuel picks up. It shouldn't take 4 short shots.

That's the quickest way to get out of there.

aiwiron Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slat

slat Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I should have no problem getting this running with the help you have given me.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    there's nothing wrong with starting fluid.

this isn't the old days when engines would knock like crazy. today's fluid works every bit as good as fuel.

i use it all the time on my 74 f250. cuz the truck only gets used twice a year. beats the crap out of burning up starter motors.

and nope. the primer pump isn't working. kenworth wants to charge a new pump. as soon as i can find the receipt from 6 months ago. it'll get warranteed.

5. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    The prime should be directly over the fuel filter on the drivers side. Pull and push that sucker then lock it down and it should start. I would pull off the fuel filter first, however, and make sure its full of fuel.

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You will need to get the air out of the line before it will pick up the fuel. Use the hand pump until you can't pump it any more. If it starts and runs rough it probably still has air in the line. It would be be best to fill the fuel filters first and then use the hand pump to get the air out of the lines and fuel in. When the fuel runs dry it can take a little while to get all the air out so that it will start.

snowman01 Thanks this.
  7. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    if need be you can fill the filters with transmission fluid as a primer also. it works real good and oils everything up nicely

aiwiron Thanks this.
  8. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    If you do that wouldn't that show up in the fuel if your unlucky enough to be stopped right away for a fuel check?

9. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    I think the easiest most time expedient way would be to call a road service and get the truck off the freeway before it either gets towed or hit.

10. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

I used to put transmission fluid in my fuel to help keep the injectors clean. I did it about every 3rd take. I did get checked once and had the empty transmission bottle in my side box. When I told the officer that was then end of it. They can always pull a sample. It won't show up if you only put transmission fluid in your filters. The fluid will be sucked into the engine and burn up.

snowman01 and aiwiron Thank this.
  11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Hopefully, the driver has been able to get his truck running and off the road by now. Most of the time you can get it started before a tow truck could get to the truck and hook up. It would be nice if the poster could come back and tell us what happened.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.