Kevin Rutherford? Good info or not?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 541johnson, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    One thing for certain, people either like him or think he's a loon. There really isn't a lot of middle ground.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Starline

Starline Medium Load Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Middle Tn
    KR is a legend in his own mind. He lost credibility with me when he sold out and began endorsing snake oil products that do nothing more then scam the driver. I'm willing to bet that he wouldn't be making ridiculous claims about earning low $$$ if he didn't have a second job behind the mike to subsidize his business. I'll be the first to say I don't know it all when it comes to trucking, but I will say that I have been trucking a lot longer then he has been behind that mike and for him to tell guys that they don;t "NEED" to make more money is a crock of crap. If you own a truck, you are in it to make a profit. And like any other business on this planet, the object is to make the most profit as you can... When you make good profits, then you can take time off and go home and enjoy life a little. So many people have convinced themself that they need to work 18 hrs a day /340 days a yr... This is insane !

Motownfire Thanks this.
  4. WMGUY

WMGUY Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Nine Mile Falls, WA
    KR show over the years has become more commercialized, which i don't care for, but his financial advice is good and he knows how to invest money and make it work.

i have heard him say several times that his plan for a trucking O/O would be to work 300 days a year and take some time off to enjoy life a little that is why we are here.. no one wants to work their life away..

and he always ask his callers to put a number on the term cheap freight if someone can haul it for less than you and turn a profit whats wrong with that?

SheepDog Thanks this.
  5. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    When I first started out I called in and asked if the "Turbo Wing" for the roof of my flat top would save me $ on fuel and he told me that I should not buy one and instead buy the factory farings for my truck. Before I could rebuttle they cut me off......so I gave up. That was back in 2005 I believe..... a turbo wing is $800 and was supposed to gain me .5mpg while I was pulling a van trailer. The factory farings would have ran about $4,000 installed and do the same .5mpg but they also said it may LOWER my mpg due to now having more surface area dragging in the wind. Do the math, and you'd see the saving in fuel would NOT have covered the $4,000 investment. So I doubt he has very sound judgement most the time.

As for his product placement and ads, they are just funny most times. Micro Blue is one of them. All of their claims are from people replacing old bearings with new bearings. Of course your going to gain better MPG's. I spoke with them at MATS and asked them if they had taken 2 identical new trucks and ran them on identical runs and had 1 with factory bearings and one with theirs and they said no and it was pointless since the factory would void the engine warranty. "Well how else can you make a side by side comparison of your product then?" and they told me that their product was ment for when replacing items. So I asked if they took 2 similar used trucks and replaced 1 with their bearings and 1 with factory spec bearings and again I got a "no" from the guys at the booth. So I told them "good luck with your magical miricales"

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Bad enough that i'm on the computer here. I've had that channel on a few times going to/from the office. I don't think it lasted more than a few minutes before i changed it. Someone that worked for me is a regular"expert" on one of the shows. That by itself tell's me the quality of their"talent". I was just curious if the numbers were linehaul only. I was in this when the first FSC's were instituted and know very few company's that use a total for a rate. I can remember when you had to give fuel"rebates" because the price fell below the margin.

7. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven

now that was a while back.

it is a difficult show to descibe , it had tidbits of gold mixed in with a bunch of manure pellets, lol

and shc, there are many products that could prove their purpose by simply doing back to back dyno runs with and without the bolt-on product, but they dont.

SHC Thanks this.
  8. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Isn't KR just the trucking industries DR. Phil ?
    He seems like another self appointed expert on everything that knows nothing about the real world to me .
    But as it was said before you either like him or you think he is another traveling medicine show.

I realize a lot of people like trucking shows on the radio but I have never thought any of the shows I have listened to were worth the time it took to change the channel to tune them in .
    So with that said I am not the best one to listen to for my opinion because I can tell you that I am biased against listening to anyone that is paid to sell me anything at all ....

Bo Hunt, SHC and Working Class Patriot Thank this.
  9. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Maybe he add's the indorsement's into the trucking company,keeping the numbers up.Actually if he can make money on the radio,even if it's BS,more power to him.

10. last 1

last 1 Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I think its funny how he is always telling people to slow down to a certain mph and doesn't even take into consideration to what gearing they have. I just wonder how many are running around lugging the crap out of their motor getting crappy mpg and don't understand why. If I ran my truck at the 58 mph he talks about my fuel mileage goes in the sh&^er. ( I know this from when I use to run Ca.) 1400 rpms = 64 mph on my truck and that's where I get the best mileage. Every trucks sweet-spot is not at 58 freaking mph KR !!!!!!

Bo Hunt and t800kwopper Thank this.
  11. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    I am all for making money but when it is money before ethics then it is not more power to him. It is them run this guy out of town.

He is taking money from MicroBlue that will likely go down as one of the most expense scams on truckers on the market.

It is classic group hype and playing on peoples need to be accepted. So if you are able to call in with a wonder 9 mpg truck and have been buying all his stuff then you placed on a pedestal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.