Kids and Semis

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by fatherofthree, Oct 7, 2015.

1. fatherofthree

fatherofthree Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Iowa
    I'm a third gen trucker and when I was a kid I was on either my mom's truck or her fiance's ( various ) even being maybe a toddler.

I see it all the time with families on the road with small children and as I look more into buying a truck I want to make sure I am 100℅ legal on everything I do.

I was informed that now a child must be 4 years old to ride in a semi ( specifically tied to Iowa state law ) my gf's father is a class a holder but not a trucker he is a railman.

If you have knowledge of this law please let me know asap.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    I've looked and looked and looked for laws pertaining to kids in the truck and haven't found anything other than the usual child restraints such as booster seats and such but I'll be following to see if anyone has some answers in writing from somewhere

4. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Call fmcsa or the state of Iowa. Get the correct answer.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  5. fatherofthree

Jul 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Same here the only company I have ever dealt with passengers told me their policy was 10 years old unaccompanied and younger requires an adult as well.

6. fatherofthree

Jul 25, 2012
    Iowa
    That's my plan in the morning at the moment I am picking up my green book right now lol

truckon Thanks this.
  7. purpleprime

purpleprime Medium Load Member

May 30, 2013
    spickard, mo
    I wore that green book out looking for something because I was being told by other drivers I couldn't have both my daughters in the truck because there wasn't enough restraints but it's my understanding the restraint net in the rear bunk is a legal restraint system

MrEd Thanks this.
  8. j.r.1981

j.r.1981 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2012
    My wife and my 9 year old ride with me all the time. My son has been riding in the truck since he was 6 months old. All 48 and never had a problem yet. Have to carry a signed paper with both names on it..signed by my boss.

9. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    yeah there is a DOT reg about having unauthorized passengers or something…….alot of it ties to the carrier you drive for…..

10. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    You will also have to have passenger insurance on anyone in the truck. Also the signed note that it is ok with the carrier for them to be on the truck. Some companies will not let you have kids under 10, some have no restrictions. I kinda figure it also has to do with the insurance carriers.

We too saw whole families traveling in the truck several years ago. But laws are always changing.

As far as the bunk net, it is supposed to be used on the bottom bunk for a co driver sleeping. Don't know how safe it would be for a kids sitting up for a long period of time if something happened.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.