Kingpin lock storage

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Pork Chop Express, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Pork Chop Express

Pork Chop Express Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Hey. Wondering where or how you guys store your kingpin locks when not in use. I get grease all over me and my luggage door storage. I put mine in 2 grocery bags, and it is always a mess. Any suggestions? Thanks for the suggestions.

mp4694330 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G.Anthony

G.Anthony Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    i went to my local wally world, in the house wares dept, and got a small plastic container that may be used for food storage as an example. look around that dept to see the different sizes that you may want to consider, and they are not priced high at all.

just be sure to also fit onto it, the top, which may be a couple of spaces over from what you choose.

Pork Chop Express and mp4694330 Thank this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I keep mine on the floor next to my right foot when driving. Like to put my foot on it and my left foot on the fire extinguisher which is about the same height and location on the left side. Feels like I'm up on stirrups.

To prevent grease on your kingpin lock--

take a plastic shopping bag or two and place over the top of your kingpin lock right before you lift it into place on the kingpin and lock it. All the grease will be on the plastic bag-- throw bag away afterwards, or like most truck drivers just let it drift in the wind til it ends up in the ocean.

tscottme, Lepton1, bigguns and 12 others Thank this.
  5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Post of the year.

tscottme, haycarter, HorseShoe and 2 others Thank this.
  6. mugurpe

mugurpe Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    I use 5" stretch/bundle wrap. depending on the type of lock, unlock it and then wrap it or wrap in then poke a small hole for the key and unlock it. Then wrap it some more. If it rubs around a lot it can rub through the stretch so I put it inside something else after, but the stretch keeps my hands clean, and is intact enough later I can put it on the kingpin without gloves later and then slice it off with a knife.

http://www.uline.com/BL_5401/Goodwrappers

of course, I use stretch wrap for just about everything

7. HorseShoe

HorseShoe Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Amongst other things...(we are talking about truck drivers)

RStewart Thanks this.
  8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    when i had the fishing boats my wife said i could get dirty just riding down the pier in the truck

9. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth

That's what i do i use plastic bags between my lock and the pin, after 10 years plus my lock is still brand new condition.

10. Panhandle flash

Panhandle flash Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    I have one of those oversized shop rags. Wrap it up in that and no muss, no fuss.

11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I wish the heck someone would have asked this question before I bought that new lock!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.