KLLM Driving Academy (Lancaster, TX)

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by Teion, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Teion

Teion Medium Load Member

May 13, 2013
    SE Texas
    I applied to the school in June and got a date to start August 8. I arrived to the hotel (comfort inn) in red oak Sunday August 7. Breakfast is at 530. The KLLM shuttle comes around 6. Class starts at 7.

Day 1 August 8.
    Started in week 1 class with about 30 people. Half needed to get a cdl. The other half got theirs already and just need to do a refresher. We were welcome by the V.P Mark Ray. He gave a speech on what they expect out of us and what we should expect. Once he was done the people that had there cdl went over to week 2 class. Which brought the class down to 15. The day just consisted of studying the CMV handbook, paper work, physical, and drug test. If you didn't get at least a 1 year med card form their doctor you would be tested again on Thursday.

Day 2 August 9.
    On day 2 we went to the dps to take our special requirements and combination test to get our permits. I passed and got it. Those that didn't pass get to retake it Thursday. Once we got back to class we jumped straight back into the handbook. We will be taking the general knowledge, air brakes, and pre trip test on Thursday.

Day 3 August 10.
    Again we went straight into the handbook. My instructor took us out to the pad to show us a full pre trip. If you pass all your test they will give you $500. I think it's a gift card.

So far it's been a smooth ride for me. And I've been treated good so far. As long as you have the right attitude here you will make it. But if you don't they have no problem sending you home. I will try to keep this thread going.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Company or L/P ??? Just wondering. Team or solo ???
    Congrats either way, man. Be safe.

4. Teion

Teion Medium Load Member

May 13, 2013
    SE Texas
    I'm going company solo. I'm new to the industry so don't really think it's a good move to just jump right into a lease. And thank you.

5. Teion

Teion Medium Load Member

May 13, 2013
    SE Texas
    Day 4 August 11.
    Today we went to the dps office to take general knowledge, air brakes, and pre trip. I passed all three. For those that didn't pass get to retake Friday and Monday. If you don't pass by Monday you will get sent home. Once we got back to the school we went to learn putting the truck in gear. Also learn straight line back. The first time I did it i had it. But the second time I did was a mess. I just forgot that if my trailer starts turning to the right turn the wheel to the right and the trailer will go left vice versa. I was turning it the opposite way. Would have practice alot longer on it but it was 106 outside so we had to go in. Tomorrow we will be working on our backing some more. It's been a pretty good day.

Lisa9 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^ Still wishing ya luck, man! Be safe & stay cool. It becomes second nature at some point, soon. Keep posting updates!!!

Teion Thanks this.
  7. Teion

Teion Medium Load Member

May 13, 2013
    SE Texas
    Thanks. I'm dedicated to this. I will keep this thread updated as much as I can.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  8. Mitchellpilot909

Mitchellpilot909 Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    I start this Monday in Lancaster, see you there.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If I remember that old FFE Trailer Lot, the slope of it the way it lies behind the shop and in front of the LTL building will ease your trailer out of being straight, don't forget to add a touch of wheel to "Get under it" to just hold it where you want against the slope of that hill. Ive seen new ones forget that small detail.

Your learning is pretty intense right now. As it should be. The best thing you can do in there is to be good to all the people you meet and talk to them. Get to know them. It takes time. But it's well paid invested time and talk when it comes time to have certain things that could be done but might give you the work instead because billy and joe and david are too busy wrestling over the local game score on the corner television.

Congratulations on your progess. Before anything...

To Walmart you go, get a large one inch thick book preferably hardback with a legal sized paper in it ruled lines.

Write down your entire dispatched load into that book by trip number and so on. Take a green marker and check off that load (It should fit one page maybe two at most per load) after you are paid properly for it. Write down everything. Be careful not to be putting down PRECISE times into that book, you want to be paid for every load you touch, interchange, haul, load, drop hook, etc

When you settle down ask Mempis Dispatch if they have McKesson Loads for you. These are picked up in Memphis already loaded and sealed. you go deliver it and STAY in the dock while they reload with cardboard. Run it straight back to memphis... drop hook another McKesson and go.

Pretty soon you will see it as a series of gravy train loads, very intense in defending against robbers and killers and hardly stopping. However... you can pretty much count on cardboard back to memphis and to a certain degree depend on knowing what your future is a couple of days at a time.

Good luck! When you go into Mars, Kraft etc that trailer has to be clean.

Lisa9, Teion and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. Teion

Teion Medium Load Member

May 13, 2013
    SE Texas
    Good deal I will be upgrading to week 2 class monday.

At @x1Heavy Thanks for the advice and information. Yeah the trailer kept wanting to pull in the direction of the slope of the ground. I will post what we went over yesterday and today after class.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. Mitchellpilot909

Mitchellpilot909 Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Do they put you with a roommate or do you have your own room?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.