KLLM hiring process question

Discussion in 'KLLM' started by Ronzken, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Ronzken

Ronzken Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    I have a question about the hiring process with KLLM.

Please excuse my english writing since I originally from Germany.

I just applied with KLLM and got a conditional offer letter.
    Now, I want to now what happens next.
    Sure, I could ask the recruiter, but unfortunately I couldn’t reach her and I’m nosy. Also, I just joined the forum and was thinking about my first post.

I don’t expect an exact answers about accurate timeframes etc., but I’m curios about other driver hiring process with KLLM.

How long from the first contact to the orientation?
    Did they sent you home after the orientation and before go out with a trainer?

It is just about planing the upcoming weeks since I’m ready to go.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IAM KING

IAM KING Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
  4. Ronzken

Ronzken Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Since no one answered and I got my orientation date already, here is what happened.

My question was - “How long is the hiring process with KLLM?”.

Well, it could be done in a couple of days I think.
    But for me, it took almost three weeks. Luckily, KLLM checked everything before they sent me to the orientation.
    Otherwise, without checking they would send me home I guess.

Because I moved to the US in 2008 and ever since my wife and I were self employed, I had a hard time to proof my employment history.
    And BOY is KLLM into employment history.
    I applied to a couple of companies and was invited by every company without further documentation of my employment history. So I guess it is a bit different with KLLM.

Anyway, I drove semi trucks back in Germany 10 years ago and it is worth nothing here in the US. I already knew that and have no problem with that and liked the idea of training on the road as well.
    Also, I already got my CDL by myself before applying with KLLM or any other company.
    But without any employment history it took me a couple more documents and phone calls to get things rolling.

Why KLLM?
    I really have not a lot of choices here in South Florida. Most of the companies hiring just experienced driver. Other companies hiring just north of Orlando or Lakeland. And some even flight you in every time you go on the road for a couple of weeks.

Ok, thats my story and sorry for my English.
    Still trying to improve my grammar :)

Velli Thanks this.
  5. housecat

housecat Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Flat Rock, MI
    What is the physical like?
    Are you lifting heavy objects?
    Do they require the sleep test?
    Congratulations on your job too!
    I couldn't imagine moving my entire life to a new country. You will probably find the driving part is much easier in the US.
    Appreciate your input. How many days is orientation?
    Is it paid?
    Dance schon

6. housecat

housecat Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Flat Rock, MI
    Danke....I meant

7. Jreamtrucka

Jreamtrucka Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Yes it's paid all except permit fee according to your state which TX IS 70 dollars

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your employment history. Your TWIC card for access into senstive industry and military bases. Your Department of Justice paperwork declaring various things to be true and correct. By the time you finish signing papers with KLLM to start trucking it will be a very thick file. Your life will be known to the company.

You would learn in time what it means to be trusted with a 18 wheeler and delivering loads of high value and sometimes mission critical to the Government, Military, Private industry etc.

Welcome to the United States. And Congratulations on your hire.

Let me tell you this.

Before you get angry with anyone with any trucking company, be warned that any mistakes, accidents, problems especially and issues WILL BE RECORDED in a special file. When they have had enough of you if you are a bad boy or bad girl, you will be fired. Done.

If at all possible have a thousand dollars saved up and ready to go. Payroll will not always be on time or always be enough. Also have a little extra so you can get home from ANYWHERE in the USA if you should be fired and stranded.

If you doubt what I told you then think again. We are here to help you understand that sometimes things happen in life and you need to be ready for that. You are easily replaceable. UNLESS... you evolve to be a true professional to your Company, Customers and Public. You will open doors that stay closed to unwashed masses.

Good luck!!!

9. blazerbaby

blazerbaby Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Are there women trainers? If you have problems in a certain area will they work with you? I understand people are replaceable lord knows that bit i have to say IN.MY OPTION thays not going to boost someone confidence to successfully pass but as.i stated its.my opinion.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Yes there are female trainers. However those are relatively rare. They do exist in the trucking world thankfully. My first trainer was a female not much older than me at that time. I only had one other female trainer in my time out there out of about 20 something trainers. So 2 of 20 is not half bad. I became a trainer a couple of times in my time out there. But only had two female students ever, one of of them was my spouse. The other female was a short timer, out for a day and returned She used the sleeper part of the time. Probably to decompress because a mountain pass almost got her goose (Townhill south of Breezewood PA, something like a 5 mile grade at about 6%? with a curve at the bottom on that 70 eastbound. She flubbed a downshift and I told her to let her go in nuetral and don't worry about that speedometer as long we get it slowed to less 80 prior to hitting that curve at the bottom.

Which was one of the days I knew that this student will not be around in trucking anymore. I never saw her again after dropping her off near Hancock at the split with 68 where she had a personal car stored at the truckstop there. It was a interesting day though. She did everything well enough but downgrade shifting was something she was shaky on. It got progressively worse when I started barking. Maybe barking was not the best tool in the box to use on that townhill but people sometimes mentally freeze like a deer in headlights and something needs to be done to push them through it and keep active. Otherwise Newton Physics will hurt us, hurt someone or several someones or kill same by the time we hit the bottom.

It worked out that day, when it had to. Anyway. bottom line back on topic, there are female trainers. You will love them.

11. blazerbaby

blazerbaby Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Im VERY NERVOUS I Have NEVER driven a big rig before

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.