KLLM horrible experience

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Mattock5656, May 15, 2015.

1. Mattock5656

Mattock5656 Bobtail Member

May 15, 2015
    Run like hell from this company. The training in the academy was okay until you made it till the OTR training part. Most of their trainers are clueless when it comes to teaching and also most are owner operator which is a terrible model for teaching students the essentials for truck driving. Naturally, combined with the ignorance of the trainer, he will want to milk you for every mile out of you from the get-go. Who cares if you are inexperienced driving a 80,000 pound missile through the mountains in the middle of the night. He was driving all the easy day runs in the day pretty much while I had to drive overnight and already pushing me to team drive him when I was still uncomfortable with truck driving in the general. It was my first week and he was already pushing me to max out my clock. I was still trying to get comfortable with the truck and the road. You might get lucky and get a good trainer but good luck. Its really a crab shoot.

He had me driving from 11:30 PM till 6:30 am through Alabama up through Tennessee which I feel is ########. I was literally fatigued beyond belief and this guy later on had to nerve to get on to me because I didn't drive enough that night. If you would of gave me a run starting out in the day when I'm well rested, I would of drove near max my clock. But I can't adjust to that sleep schedule in one week. I understand there is night driving in trucking, but I am new at this. I need time and progression. Pretty much what broke the camels back is his truck broke down in Delaware and got stuck for a day plus. He essentially started to lash out on me because I didn't drive enough for our DFW to Maryland load and pretty much downplaying all the times I drove. I drove a bunch more including driving through Chicago traffic. When we received our load, I suppose dispatch called and asked my trainer, "you guys got 2 clocks?" He said, "yes". He got off the phone and I said, " Do they realize that I'm a trainee?" He said, "They dont give a ####" Really? lol He got in a argument with me and I said I'm done with this #### and got a plane ride home. I realized later the trucking industry isn't for me but I wanted to let everyone know of what went on. Get ready for a bunch of ######## when you go with your trainer. Also, he was very negative about his previous students and had a few where he was buddy buddy with. Although, he kept telling me training isn't worth it and Ill probably be his last student blah blah. There were many more problems.

I told the main trainer lady in Lancaster and she pretty much gave me a blanket statement saying that there are many variables and that she needs the whole picture. She pretty much sided with him and didn't even care what I said. Also, they will not refund my ticket because I apparently said I quit in Delaware and therefore they wont pay. #### these mother ####ers.

Dominick253 and freightwipper Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d_bassguy79

d_bassguy79 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2014
    There are other companies that dont do team training and will stop someone from being a trainer if that is found out. All companies are not the same.

4. MrHarleyDude

MrHarleyDude Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2014
    Maybe the larger companies should hire full-time, professional trainers instead of yokels just using trainees as "meat in the seat." Have a few professional trainers whose full time job is to train trainees the proper way.

Most companies will let you train if you have 6-12 months of experience, no tickets and attend a 4 hour class. Those are hardly difficult standards to meet. So most (not all, but most) guys sign up to train merely to cash in on trainee miles and don't really care if the trainee succeeds or not. Basically, they want help making their lease payment. Hiring professional trainers who are paid a good salary and not by the mile would pretty much eliminate that problem. (Maybe guys who are retired or semi-retired would be good candidates.)

Yes, it would cost the companies money to do this. But that cost would be more than offset by the money the companies would save from retaining more and higher qualityvtrainees, instead of hiring and paying 20 trainees to get 1 or 2 who will stick with the company instead of quitting 6 weeks later.

darthanubis, Voodoo Pyg and Grouch Thank this.
  5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Don't let one bad experience sour you on a driving career. Were other trainers made available to you?

Arkansas Thanks this.
  6. Night Prowler

Night Prowler Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    Temple, Texas
    Did you even ask for another trainer ? If not that's your bad. But it sounds like you didn't do enough homework finding out about them before you went with them. Good Luck try another company.

7. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    I agree with Lonesome. Don't let one bad experience ruin you on trucking. There's a lot of bad people in this business but there's a lot of good people also. Maybe give it another try with a different company.

darthanubis, Voodoo Pyg and Lonesome Thank this.
  8. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    Mattock, you are pretty much in a predicament here. You have time and $$$$ invested in this career choice. If you give up now, you will be further in the hole than when you started. Can you afford to quit now?

What is the easiest way out for you?

I say call or go talk to the lady in Lancaster, and tell her you still want to drive, but you need another trainer. Tell her there was a big misunderstanding and and personality conflict between you and the first trainer. She probably knows who her good trainers and bad trainers are. The guy you had was probably not one of the good ones.

If it makes you feel better, I did the same thing as you did in 1989. My first trainer was an Ahole and a jerk from day one. After about two weeks of his BS, we landed in Tulsa and checked in the motel for the night. I called the Main Terminal and told them I was getting off the truck. Called a cab and went to the airport.

After about two weeks of waiting at home, the Company set me up with Trainer#2. He was a great guy and I enjoyed running with him. I finished out with trainer#2 and soon went solo.

You are not the first person to jump off a trainer truck, and won't be the last.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  9. JMichael

JMichael Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    Trial by fire . He admitted he wasn't cut out for it . Really . A few months out of training are you going to service fail a load because it's snowing or you can't drive at night ? The best pay is time sensitive , and if he is an owner operator what's his incentive to train you other than money ? Sounds like he was giving you good OJT

10. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Hey, JMichael. Anyone ever tell you your avatar looks a lot like Mitt? :)

11. JMichael

JMichael Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    Romney? Lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.