Knight vs WEL who wins or good with either ?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by FOSUN, Apr 5, 2016.

1. FOSUN

FOSUN Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Who is the better company Knight Transportation or WEL Companies ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  4. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

"Better" is a matter of personal preference and is something you have to decide. Both are very stable companies but Knight is significantly larger than WEL. Depending on what you want short- and long-term, I think both would be good choices.

Research both carefully and don't get all googly-eyed over cents per mile; there are many other factors to be considered. Look on YouTube, where both companies have regular posters; you can learn a lot by watching and listening. If you have the inclination, Google both to learn about their financial health, legal problems if any, and general company history.

And get all the inside information you can from your recruiter contacts, understanding that they will put a peasant spin on things but probably won't outright lie to you--there's too much competition and too much at stake. Ask pointed questions until you are satisfied with the answer. Keep asking until you are.

If this is your first company, by far the most important aspect is staying there one full year or as close to it as you can. There is much for a new driver to learn and going through four seasons will teach you a lot.

ExOTR, Sham3R and RookieJ1987 Thank this.
  5. FOSUN

FOSUN Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Great Advice, thanks....

6. RookieJ1987

RookieJ1987 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very well said!

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  7. Sham3R

Sham3R Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2016
    AZ
    When I did my research for my starting company while in CDL School Knight was my first choice because of their training and the additional benefits they provide to veterans. Unfortunately due to a reckless streak while 18-22 & active duty only CR England & Swift would take me.

Just like Denali stated make sure you look at all the factors involved with both companies. Even make a Pro - Con sheet ( that's what I did ) and what ever you do get at least 1yr with the company before making the leap to a different company because it shows you not only have experience in all the seasons OTR but also aren't just jumping around companies trying to "con into a better deal" along with showing you are actually in the line of work for more than a Temporary gig. And if you decide you like where your at with your starter company just keep with them for a while for some of the specialty companies that you might be interested in may require 1yr or MORE experience.

RookieJ1987 and FOSUN Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.