Know a good school in Las Vegas?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by TurtlesLikeI, Jan 28, 2016.

1. TurtlesLikeI

TurtlesLikeI Light Load Member

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    I've learned to not trust any company out here without some personal recommendations. Some of them have blatantly false reviews up on Yelp.

Anyone started their career on wheels in this hellhole? Who did you go with? Did they help with prehires and all the usual stuff you'd want from a school?

TY

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    elamigowapo and kiwi23 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Any idea what type trucking you're interested in?
    Watkins-Shepard has a terminal in Las Vegas and hires new cdl grads.
    You don't really need a company with a terminal in your area though because home time is based on company policy, not where terminals are located.

5. TurtlesLikeI

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    Over the road, not by choice so much as an understanding that I won't have much of a chance in anything else without experience. I couldn't care less about what I'm hauling although I do have a slight preference for something that will require me to do some unloading since I like to stay in shape but have trouble being assed to do it unless it's making me money in the process.

Edit: This is 1488, after a series of confusion between the two trucking forums I use it seems I made two accounts here by mistake between my computer and phone, oops!

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    KKW Trucking is "driver unload or assist unload" and Watkins-Shepard may be the same depending on the account.
    Dry Van:
    KKW Trucking
    Watkins-Shepard
    Flat is good for some exercise tarping and securing loads. I've done it and it's a rewarding in that you get job satisfaction from securing and delivering loads.
    Flatbed:
    System Transport
    Pride Transport - flatbed division
    Melton Truck Lines
    Western Express

Refrigerated:
    Abilene Motor Express
    Freymiller
    Magnum Ltd.
    Navajo Express
    Dynamic Transit

Keep in mind, many companies websites aren't up to date and may have "experience required" when they actually hire new cdl grads. All those I've listed do hire new cdl grads.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    kiwi23, FerrissWheel and TurtlesLikeI Thank this.
  7. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    When I first started this crazy journey I went to AIT in North Vegas, they will see if your hireable, it will be an actual interview, or was 2 years ago. They gave me a tour and even sat me down in a truck. Only will train if you have a prehire, only company they had at the time was Werner that they were handing out apps for, I think I heard Werener bought them recently so be warned. I ended up going to what was still for the moment Central Refrigerated. AIT Seemed like a good school other than being shills for Werner. They at the time offered classes for endorsements too, something Central didnt ,and to my knowledge most company schools don't do.

It depends what you want out of it. If you aren't afraid to saddle up with a company awhile, they will get you on the road quicker. Another thing to consider, not many companies have terminals in Vegas. That can complicate hometime for some companies, its an important question to ask. Most of the companies with terminals in Vegas are going to want endorsements or experience (Estes,Sysco,etc) Only training company I know of with a terminal in Vegas is Knight.

Central/SWIFT always just ended up dead heading me out of LA, Southern Utah or Phoenix for hometime. Not every company will be as generous with thier Diesel. Some drivers have horror stories, but they never did me wrong.

Also if you want more physical work, flatbed would be better, but as a van driver you can always ask if they have a jack you can use and unload yourself someplaces. Did that once at McLane and they pointed me to a row of actual freaking forklifts. Figured out how to drive it by about the last pallet lol.

If you get your CDL free of a company there are a few that hire new CDLs for local work. One of the local flatbed outfits did but I don't rember who.

TurtlesLikeI Thanks this.
  8. TurtlesLikeI

Oct 13, 2015
    Nevada
    Thanks but I was under the impression most companies would let you take the truck to get home and just park it somewhere? Does this mean I'd essentially be unable to get home without a company with a Las Vegas terminal?

FerrissWheel Thanks this.
  9. FerrissWheel

FerrissWheel Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2015
    NV
    Alot of companies will not let you do it no. You may have to park your personal vehicle at a yard of thiers and drive home. Several companies on the other hand will let you drive home if you live far from a terminal. Since I was over 250 miles away from the nearest Central/Swift terminal they let me take truck and trailer both with me.

Point is there will be companies that will let you. But some won't do it unless they get you a load there and that can be a problem.

You will have to check with ones you are most interested in, ideally by talking to thier drivers. But if a company won't give you the details be wary.

The ones mentioned by @Chinatown are worth a look. Any Flatbed will keep you more active than most jobs. If you want to get into magnificiant shape, put in your time somewhere and get into food service, Sysco has a terminal in Vegas, that will keep you working hard. As well as some LTL companies like Estes, but most of these are going to require a year at least in Vegas.

kiwi23 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    All trucking companies have a home time policy and a parking policy for the truck.
    Some say take the truck home with you and some say park in a safe area and some say park at a terminal if one is near. Really nothing to be concerned about.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.