Knowing What You Know Now, Would You Still Sign Up for Choice Today?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by workingklasshero, May 10, 2016.

1. workingklasshero

workingklasshero Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Hi all. I'm accepted with a specific new truck set aside for the 3 year lease. I've read most of the pertinent threads and viewed too many YouTube vids. I've tried to absorb as much as I can.

Thanks to those who have started the threads and participated in them. It is very helpful to get a real feel for what one is getting into. I was a bit taken aback when some of the threads that cover years took a turn from unbridled optimism to becoming a bit negative. I understand the main reasons to be the expansion of the Choice program combined with lower rates, which translates in to lower revenue, and/or longer hours/days worked.

It seems the money came "easy" in the beginning, and coupled with the newfound freedom of picking your own loads, it was close to trucker heaven. But now it's more of a daily grind due to the aforementioned reasons. I can dig that.

I've been driving since '96. Mostly reefer, some dry van, and a few years hauling LOX and LIN. I'm back to reefer now for the last few years. Always as a company driver. Whenever I would think about buying a truck, I would say to myself "Man, then you'll be driving a truck the rest of your life". Well, the rest of my life is here. My carefree lifestyle has left me with no responsibilities but to myself, and not a whole lot to show for it either.

All of sudden I'm the "seasoned pro" surrounded by the new kids at my company. I was one once too, so I help them when I can. But I'm at a point in my life where I would like to benefit from my knowledge and experience, and maybe not work at a company that has become a training camp for recent grads. I need a new challenge as well.

When I was discussing Choice with a friend, and O/O who pulls a flatbed and books his own loads, he said, "So what else you doin' the next few years?" What he meant was I'd remain a company driver, making maybe sixty grand a year. It was his way of encouraging me.

I gave up my long time apartment 2 1/2 years ago on the West Coast, and have lived since then in the truck and the occasional motel. It was my choice, and I don't regret it. I can save money now. I put 140,000 miles on my company truck each year, and intend to work (I know, revenue not miles :)) just as hard at Schneider. I grew up on the East Coast, so like Travis Bickle, "I'll work anytime, anywhere".

So I thought I would start this thread, and ask you fellow drivers who have been with Choice a while. If you were in my position, with little debt and responsibilities other than yourself, would you still sign up for Choice? Just a shoot the #### kinda thread. Thanks.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Dominick253, tommymonza, rachi and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blackceaser2

blackceaser2 Bobtail Member

May 7, 2016
  4. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    If you're looking to come over just be prepared to adjust your running style as freight dictates, go where others hate and be willing to be micromanage just like a company driver.

As for would I sign on now.....it's tough to say I've been here so long and know this system however if I had zero experience with SNI and talked to choice drivers and heard pros and cons I'd probably not lease an SFI truck but still give the program a shot but SNI is only bringing on SFI trucks to maximize profit.

So to confuse you even more it's still good enough for me to stay but it's truly a choice only you can make...

Good luck.......Tequila

sealevel and workingklasshero Thank this.
  5. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    @TennMan ..i talked with a landstar driver today and he said it'll be october before he can bring his truck over here..thats what recruiting told him..

TennMan Thanks this.
  6. workingklasshero

Sep 16, 2007
    Thanks TennMan. I've enjoyed and learned from your posts.

7. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Wow you must have low standards to learn from me, but you're welcome....lol

8. Cledus Snow

Cledus Snow Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2015
    What area do you live/plan to run? What truck options did sfi give you? When are you starting orientation?

9. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That's funny. If a guy can't make money at a system like landstar, then he must have no business sense whatsoever. He needs to just get a company job.

TennMan and duddie Thank this.
  10. Dogals right foot

Dogals right foot Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dreaded Northeast
    I've done very well here and the complaints are the usual stuff you've already read.
    My advice is bring your own truck..but you can't now because of the new policy.
    So with saying that..do a 1 year lease THEN get your own truck.
    Don't do a 3 year..you'll regret it.
    Having a monthly payment versus a weekly one gives you a ton of flexibility.
    Not worrying about that weekly note makes it a lot easier to operate your business and home time.
    Run smart and do what it takes to keep your business moving forward.

I'm still here only because its hard to compare other companies with the freedom of dispatching yourself.
    Plus because of my situation I finally realized I don't have to chase big numbers week in and week out to be happy.
    SNI does micromanage you but it's the price of doing business with them.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever choice you make.

Opus, 48Packard, sealevel and 2 others Thank this.
  11. workingklasshero

Sep 16, 2007

Thanks, I appreciate it. I was going to go with a one year lease, but ended up choosing the three because of the Volvo, and the fact that a year or two doesn't seem like a long period of time to me anymore. Simply put, I wanted one. I like driving them, and as a house they have their benefits. Warranty will cover the lease period, and a buyout after that isn't out of the question.

Also, I've owned three used Volvo cars starting in high school. Lost my virginity in the first one. Later I had a Swedish girlfriend for years, and even went to Sweden! What can I say? :)

I know what you mean about the nut. I am susceptible to that kind of pressure like anyone else, but that is the decision I made. My O/O friend keeps a 2002 truck going all over the country, has a shade tree mechanic when he is at home, but it is a challenge. His is an extreme example, but I'm not ready to add that aspect to my experience.

Many years ago I had a CB conversation with a driver who said he had literally been living in his truck for nine years! I thought man, you poor bhastard! Now I have been doing it for 2 1/2. I think I can make Choice work for me. We'll see how it goes...

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    TennMan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.