Knowing What You Know Now, Would You Still Sign Up for Choice Today?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by workingklasshero, May 10, 2016.

1. RootHog

RootHog Heavy Load Member

May 23, 2008
    NWA
    I might actually try this setup.

workingklasshero Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rickybobby

rickybobby Road Train Member

Jul 10, 2010
    greensboro, nc
  4. RootHog

RootHog Heavy Load Member

May 23, 2008
    NWA
    Starting a day without Coffee Sucks!

91B20H8 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  5. workingklasshero

workingklasshero Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2007
    I forgot my favorite mug. After buying all the expensive, heavy stainless mugs with handles, without handles, with carabiner handles, I've gone back to basics.

The best coffee mug out there is the Starbucks $1.00 recyclable. It will take all the pressure you can apply when plunging the Aeropress (If you snug down the Aeropress bayonet-mount filter cover too tight, it creates a very difficult to push vacuum), the lid snaps on tightly, and it will cool the coffee down. When you make a cup with the Aeropress, you use boiling water, so you don't want a mug to keep it hot. You want it to cool down so it tastes good and smooth and flavorful.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    RootHog Thanks this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    All that sounds like an awful lot of work. Think I'll stick to my kuerig machine. Just can't beat the convenience and quickness of k cups.

HalpinUout and Home_on_wheels Thank this.
  7. workingklasshero

Sep 16, 2007
    Your Keurig machine makes you a "steering wheel holder" in the world of FRESH BREWED coffee drinkers.

You do not care to learn about what really makes a real cup of FRESH BREWED coffee, let alone enjoy one. You are content to drive down the road (holding your steering wheel), and sip on your good enough for you coffee that was made from ground beans inserted into a plastic container months ago, getting old and stale (the coffee, not you).

The nifty marketing job by Keurig has made it extremely popular among those who value time and convenience above everything else, especially taste. McDonald's comes to mind (I visit often for breakfast).

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3042831/youve-all-been-had-keurig-coffee-is-the-devil

Fresh brewed coffee means FRESH GROUND beans. The flavor has just been released, and when you pour hot water over them, the coffee "blooms". This is a term I have snickered at myself, but it is true. It involves the release of CO2.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/19/what-is-coffee-bloom_n_6895446.html

I woke up, booted up my laptop, saw your post, (thought THAT sob :) and made a cup. The Japanese made Hario grinder takes about 200 turns to finish. This takes about a minute (I'm fast). The water is getting hot at the same time. The first couple weeks I used it my forearms were so sore I couldn't believe it. Now I could thumb wrestle with the best of them.

The manual grinding is not for everyone. I just don't want another appliance in the truck. The jar comes with a nifty screw on top for the little remaining coffee. But it's the same as making your own ice cream, or mixing ingredients while preparing dinner. It's actually pleasurable, knowing what is coming...

I use two scoops of coffee, and that cuts the brew time to one minute. Place on top of cup, and push. Add hot water, a touch of half and half, and a tiny bit of raw sugar, or honey. Under five minutes for sure, and it is better than any Starbucks. Very economical too, unlike K-cups. The reward is me sitting here now enjoying my morning brew, that I made, from start to finish. Kinda like that feeling one gets after tarping a load (I would think).

The ritual of the Aeropress is part of the enjoyment. Like cooking. The resulting coffee compared to the K-cup is like comparing a seasoned, experienced flatbed owner operator (not leasee) who hauls jet engines, tarps his own loads, makes $4.00 a mile out of Florida, etc, to a Swift trainee.

IMG_8537.jpg
    IMG_8540.jpg IMG_8541.jpg IMG_8542.jpg IMG_8543.jpg

BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  8. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I got a grinder at home, and use it on occasion, but in the truck there is only so much I'm willing to carry with me. The convection oven, electric pan, and crock poor along with fridge and freezer are enough for me. Besides, to be perfectly honest, i think the best cup of coffee is plain ol folgers brewed in a perculator like grandma used to make. But im a jeans and flannel, may and potatoes farm boy. I'll leave the fancy coffee for you young guys in your volvos.

Ok, the Volvo comment was probably going to far. I take that back.

Tyreman and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  9. workingklasshero

Sep 16, 2007
    But that's just it, this isn't fancy. It's grinding coffee beans and pouring hot water over them. The Aeropress is just a variation of the French Press, where you add water to coffee and let it sit, like Cowboy coffee. This also fits in any drawer in your truck!

I'm flattered at the "young" part, but if you have more than a few years on me I'd be surprised. My percolator memories are from my parents, not grandma. We were Chase and Sanborn drinkers.

10. SingingWolf

SingingWolf Heavy Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Steubenville, OH
    8 o'clock isn't bad. Prefer their french roast over columbian. However, we like to get our coffee from CoffeeBeanDirect.com You get free shipping on a 25lb sack and you can choose to either get it whole bean or pre-ground. They roast it the day it goes on the truck so it arrives VERY fresh. After that if you happen to have some accumulated coffee cans you can distribute it into those for easier storage..

11. Dogals right foot

Dogals right foot Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2013
    The Dreaded Northeast
    I drive a Volvo and have been driving since 1994.
    Don't knock it til you've tried one.;)
    Jammed gears for 21 years and then test drove the Volvo..wont ever shift again if I have my way.

I like fresh coffee as much as the next person but tend to just drink a cup here and there while on the road.
    Drink the good stuff on the weekend..Green mountain seems to be pretty good.
    We've done all kinds:Gevalia,DD,8 'clock,fresh gouret from wherever etc.
    We have Cusinart coffee maker that grinds the beans and drops them into a filter and so on.
    Automatic with the grind..works nice.
    We also have a Keurig..works great and the coffee depending on where you get it tastes just as good as fresh brewed.

I thought I was a coffee snob til I read hero's rant..nicely done sir.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.