Koon Trucking - Booneville, MS

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by izifaddag, Sep 20, 2016.

1. izifaddag

izifaddag Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Ok, I have been putting off making this thread because it seems so shill like but I have to share what I stumbled on.
    Thanks to Truckers Report I found Koon Trucking out of Boonesville, MS. They basically rescued me just as I was feeling the slow pull of the drain after my own authority and a disastrous period at Landstar.
    I look back on it now and I don't know what got into me hooking up with Landstar. It took 3 full months from the time of filling out the application to pulling my first load. I have never seen so much bs in all my life. You would think they were hoarding golden eggs or something. Turned out to be total smoke and mirrors and the usual 'lets play nickel and dime the driver'. In other words situation normal with all the mega carriers.
    Met the owner of Koon as I was contemplating Meadowlark and doing some research on this forum.
    One thing led to another and I have been there ever since.
    Quite frankly I am done. Can't see me going anywhere else ever and I just wish I'd hooked up with these guys a long time ago.
    This is what I was looking for a small, tightknit outfit where everybody knows each other and supports the other guy. This place is friendly. I have never worked anywhere that the owner has taken me out to dinner with his wife just because he wanted to. Came and picked me up from a truck stop in the pickup so I wouldn't have to spend the night on my own. They all say they care about their drivers but Koon actually mean it.
    I am paying 15% commission and the settlements are incredibly easy to read. Landstar was like Greek. The insurance is high but because I make so much more money I don't mind. Anyway I think the insurance is going down next year.
    I am running OTR right now and they keep me busy. The load finding / dispatch part of it is superb. Real 5 star stuff. Just today got hooked up with a $3500 trip out of El Paso after a nearly $3 a mile in from Kansas. Best thing I ever did was plunging on a reefer. My dry van is in their yard under lock and key. They also take my mail in for nothing. Ifta preparation is also nothing.
    I like the fact that help is right there on a weekend with a text or a phonecall. Our dispatch lady might be at home with a basket of laundry on the go but she is all over a problem. Happened only last Saturday in Houston.
    Got a great connection for trailer leases and another for trailer repairs. Did a great job on my dry van. Also cheap tires. Even got a guy for APU repairs and if you know what thermo king charge you'd appreciate these 2 brothers.
    Anyway enough from me I sound like an utter shill. I'm not, I am just a very happy camper. I have spent a lot of time on this forum criticizing several companies and quite rightly too as we all know what a bunch of crooks so many of them are. It gives me a lot of pleasure to write something good about a decent place to lease onto and all thanks to Truckers Report.
    If anybody wants to know something specific send me a pm. They are looking for about 4 or 5 more guys sort of southern oriented although I don't think it is a show stopper.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TB John

TB John Company Shill of BYOB & CBD

Dec 28, 2008
    Wow, this has been up since yesterday and nobody has been by to accuse you of being a recruiter. :biggrin_255:

4. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Yep. I wrote that from the heart and I was waiting for that after I read it later and then read the recruiter stuff. I am not a recruiter though. I just want others to hear about my good fortune. Goodness knows I and so many of you others out there have struggled to find a place where you aren't being screwed.

5. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    Well typically in this business this particular happy home got ended. I am at a loose end looking for a new home. Now I won't hear a bad word said about Koon Trucking. It was business and they sold out to another company. These things happen. They are good people and the owner is a nice fellow. Circumstances change though and I am what you call collateral damage. No one to blame and I not only thank the owner but wish him good luck.
    I am looking for a new home. Couple of irons in fires but still looking so if anybody has a suggestion I am all ears. Best wishes from Izi.

6. Joe Dan

Joe Dan Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Denton Texas
    Who did Koon sale out to ?

FOREVER BLESSED Thanks this.
  7. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    If I read your post correctly, you have your own truck and trailer and leased on to Koon? If so, you might check out Southern Pride. I don't have any personal experience with them (or any other O/O operation, for that matter), but have talked to a couple of people that are leased on with them and neither had a bad word to say about them. You might also check out Oakley out of Little Rock. I've never heard any bad about them either.

FOREVER BLESSED Thanks this.
  8. FOREVER BLESSED

FOREVER BLESSED Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2018
    Mississippi / 48 states
    Hello
    Hello
    are you still there now ? Can you give me info ? Email me I'm from the area just want to know how it's set up and changes if any.

9. CorsairFanboy

CorsairFanboy Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    anyone else thought about the name? Too funny to be true lol.

10. Joe Dan

Joe Dan Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Denton Texas
    Koon Trucking was bought out by a guy in Tupelo. Called Transport One now .

FOREVER BLESSED and izifaddag Thank this.
  11. izifaddag

Apr 26, 2010
    This is correct. The lease was draconian and they refused to let me get registration for my trailer under their mc. Instantaneous show stopper.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.