kW t680 cb mounting. What have you done??

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by ncfirefighter235, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ncfirefighter235

ncfirefighter235 Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Tyler,Tx
    I am not new to the CB world by any means . I have grown up around them all my life and I'm starting to follow my dad into ham radio. I pride myself on hiding all my wires and everything else and so far I have been able to put a general lee Connex or galaxy in every truck I drive, but recently my company put me in a brand-new 2015 Kenworth T680 needless to say I have never been a fan of the dual antennas but that is the least of my concern the overhead hole for their CB radio will only fit a cobra 29 again not a big fan. I have tried and looked around at any other way that I can run my big radios without drilling any holes per the company and I was just wondering anybody else with a Kenworth T680 that is running a big radio that did not have to drill any holes how did you do it in a picture would be beautiful I am stumped!!!!!!!!

free2fly973 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I leave my Galaxy at home and just run a 29 thats tuned up. Its all that will fit and like you I wont hack up some elses tractor.

4. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    Maybe you should look at the "outback antenna bracket" type?

I had a T2000 for a short time and i use the outback with my predator while running my 2970N2 it surely did the job and i also have grounded the grab handle where my outback was mounted never had any problem with that set up.

Everything was hidden no wires here and there and i have use loom to cover my ground strap.

Good luck

5. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    [​IMG]

I've switched out the radio a few times, but the Dual-Lock (3M "Recloseable Fasteners" sold at Walmart on the tape aisle by the paint section) tape has held just fine for over a year.

Granted, this is a Cascadia, but the situation is similar, the only thing that will fit the stock mounting spot is a 29.

Before using the tape, SCRUB the surface with a powerful multi-surface cleaner (I used Spray Nine) for several minutes. This will ensure that the surface is stripped of any lingering mold release oils that would prevent adhesive from properly adhering.

slim6596 Thanks this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Ideally an 81 inch center load antenna would work quite well on that truck. You could modify an existing antenna by replacing a short shaft with a longer one to achieve the desired result.

7. papaduck

papaduck Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I got one of these trucks and have the Cobra 29. Radio is fine but the stock fiberglass mirror mounted antennas suck. What would be the best most cost effective modification to do to these? Company truck so it has to be able to go back to the stock configuration.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    A 9 foot whip works quite well on that truck mounted low on the aftermarket antenna bracket

9. papaduck

papaduck Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2015
    You said "a" 9ft whip. Are you saying do away with the stock (two) mirror mounts and add an aftermarket mount ( any names/part #) and run just one stainless steel whip?

10. papaduck

papaduck Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Yankee, I don't need a radio my 29 works great.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.