LA TIMES: Why paying truckers by the mile is unfair and dangerous

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by c64basic, Jun 20, 2015.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    10 million or 50 million, the number is still enough to insure wages for blue-collar work remains stagnant. At least before, when most immigration was "above board and legal", we had real and mostly accurate numbers to gauge and consider. Today, it's anybody's guess, but nobody doubts the numbers here who are undocumented are massive and are negatively affecting our school, welfare, and healthcare systems that were not designed to operate in a nation where the borders are effectively wide open, come on in, no questions asked, and BTW here is a welcome kit on how to game the system from day one.

This is not a racist issue, this is an economic and security issue, for all those here legally.

Air Breeze Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Get on the internet and look it up for yourself. I'm not a school teacher. I don't fabricate my facts.

4. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I only read the first page of replies so....
    There are many ways for a driver to get paid & most drivers like the way they get paid now cause they are used to it... & if they didnt like it, they'd go somewhere else to work.

So, having said that.. I get paid a day rate. I happy with that.

5. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    i dont consider getting paid cpm anything different from anything else. My boss says I'll pay you $900 to drive to LA and another $900 to drive back is all I am concerned with the HOS laws are my problem with how to complete my job in a timely fashion

6. Air Breeze

Air Breeze Heavy Load Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    I agree with you, the 14hr rule is making driver's run harder to beat the clock. It also has the effect of reducing driver's pay when they are paid by the mile. Under the old regulations you could stop the clock anytime and took a break when you where tired. It didn't matter if you where delayed by a customer because you weren't tied to the 14hr rule.This has also increased the cost of doing business for trucking companies because it reduces the availability of their drivers to respond to the demands of their customers and rapidly changing availability of good paying freight.

7. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    4 hours a live-unload ..not nearly done. The warehouse here is on lunch...now I have to wait.

This 14 hour rule makes me want to quit trucking.

I have two loads after this already pre-planned on me. If the unloading would have been done within at least an hour and a half, I would have been able to take my 10 near my third loads shipper. Now I only have enough time to pick up and drive my second pre-plan until my 14 counts ends.

What does this mean?
    It means instead of finishing all three loads before closing paycheck period, I'll only be able to finish two loads. = smaller check

And all because of one lausy warehouse. And if the next pick ups or deliveries don't go as planned. Then less money for me.

So, I'm going to be driving fast today. Stay out of my way.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    T_Bone, Air Breeze and hunted Thank this.
  8. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Hourly might be nice if they started to penalize shippers for wasting drivers time.

As for minimum wage, seeing as they're trying to get that up to $15/hr they'd BETTER be willing to pay drivers more.

Judging by all the crackheads I see at minimum wage being clean, sober, able to maintain a license, and be away from home most of the time is worth a premium.

If they want to pay me what a burger flipper makes, I'd rather deliver pizzas and let the trucking companies wonder why they can't fill seats

truckthatpassesyouby Thanks this.
  9. VoidedNull

VoidedNull Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2015
    I don't really want to resurrect an old thread but, what the hell? you are substituting racism for xenophobia? I have seen all kinds of good and bad drivers coming in all flavors.

10. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    It's not about xenophobia. It's the truth. I've got nothing against people coming here for a better life. It's America. Land of opportunity. The truth is, how ever, that while we were screaming about Mexicans driving trucks here, Eastern Europeans have come here in droves and have done exactly what OOIDA and others said the Mexicans would do. That's a problem.

drvrtech77 and TruckDuo Thank this.
  11. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    @joseph1135 is far from a racist. He makes valid points.

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.