Land star questions

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by SH42, Jul 3, 2015.

1. SH42

SH42 Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Just wondering what kind money u can expect to make with land star I'm currently leased to a small company and doing fairly well I'm home every weekend clear $2500-$3000 weekly is landstar better that's after fuel and insurance thx any info is appreciated

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mp4694330

mp4694330 Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Chicagoland
    Van, Flat, Step, Specialized?

4. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Where do you live, year of truck?

5. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    pretty good money where you are at! You will have better weeks at Landstar and you will have worse weeks, freight is always fluctuating!

6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    How many miles are you running a week to get those numbers?

7. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    If your taking home $2,500-3,000 each week and your not killing yourself or your equipment odds are you'll be happier where your at.

icsheeple, TruckDuo and freightwipper Thank this.
  8. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    I would s tay where your at . Sounds like the money with your present company is pretty consistent. The problem I had at Landstar was your out loading and you get a freight or load alert now you have to stop doing what your doing and call to book the load . sometimes your not able to because your working with the forklift to get what ever you are loading where you want or need I t. There's more but I'm already getting long winded.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  9. marineman227

marineman227 Dock Waterer

Jan 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    That was actually a fairly short post, you should see how much I can type out on a good Friday or Saturday night such as tonight after a few margaritas on the deck. I would like to hear more about the down sides of landstar. It seems the only ones that keep current with posting are relatively new to the system. I'm already set on going, it would take some pretty significant downs to change my mind but I'm open to understanding the headaches before I dive in. I plan to start on van while keeping an eye on the flatbed/ step deck market then once I'm comfortable with what they have to offer transitioning to flat or step.

TruckDuo Thanks this.
  10. taxihacker66

taxihacker66 Road Train Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Concrete jungle.
    I went to L.S after having my own authority with a deep drop triaxle stepdeck and even though i had done some "SD3" LANDSTAR freight under my authority they wouldn't allow me to do it under their authority . You have to work your way up through their system( no one informed me of this and they knew what trailer i was bringing ) FB 1 fb2 fb3, sd1 sd2 sd3 and so on. There agents arent supposed to have any of their own trucks but some do and alot of the desirable freight goes to those trucks and the load never gets out on the loadboard.

11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    ^^^ what he said. To get their good freight you'll need to find their good brokers and call them regularly.
    Often the better loads don't even make it to their loadboard.
    Anyhow...
    I'd seriously consider getting your own authority though and not be tied to a MC.
    You'll far more freight options and you'll be able to keep your revenue per mile higher. Lately LS has been kinda tough with rates but their savings plus program and reliable payment are bih big plusses for us.

What is your current avg revenue per mile to the truck, all miles ??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.