Landed an oilfield job

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Caustic-sam, Oct 5, 2015.

1. TahoeTrucker

TahoeTrucker Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Lake Tahoe, CA
    I honestly don't know much about them, I see a lot of their oil trucks but I'm sure they are on par with most jobs in the area. If it's load pay then you could do well but might be tuff this winter with the weather. % pay wouldn't be bad either. I'm hourly at $21 hauling water so I don't know if I'd do haz mat for the same. I'm looking at around $75k this year with no has mat. I know tri Mac drivers are averaging $70k -$80k a year hauling oil out of Greeley. The oil field is a bit unstable right now and they aren't producing much. My guess is when it gets colder and the demand for natural gas goes up then they will crank those wells up. Better profit if oil prices are down. Plus line pressure is high so a couple factors to look at. Winters definitely the time to jump in the game because it gets busy or at least has been, we all hope it picks up in a couple weeks.

Dick Danger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle

Thanks for the info. It's hourly 22day 24nights I just might do it.

4. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Use it for a foot in the door, but otherwise that's a pretty ####ty opportunity if you ask me. Oilfield work is "worth it" because of the overtime.

$20 straight x 60 hrs =$1200
    $20 per hour with OT after 40 x 60 hours? $1400.

That's 200 per week your giving up, or $800 per month.

Where will you be transporting the diesel to and from?

unloader

5. Ben Gunn

Ben Gunn Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Forgotten Coast
    To the OP, congratulations on your new job! As oilfield jobs go, that's not great money but it sounds like it's a great step up compared to what you were making. Congratulations for taking the bull by the horns and making a better life for yourself. The oilfield ain't what it used to be, but give it your all and treat this job as a foot in the door. When crude prices rebound and stabilize you will be in a great position to move on to a better gig that pays OT after 40.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I worked for a guy in ND who pulled for MBI. They are one of the screwiest outfits I've ever been around. Nobody knows anything, sit 2 or more hours waiting for dispatch, the list goes on and on.....

Tractorman10-4 Thanks this.
  7. Tractorman10-4

Tractorman10-4 Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Salem Oregon
    I second that, there not a company I would relocate for at all. There kind of like the swift of oilfield trucking. At least the ND yards.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    When I was there back in 2012 every driver I spoke to that drove for MBI said they were terrible about their maintenance and they charged drivers money for flat tires out of the Williston yard

9. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    How does that work? Pretty sure that is illegal.

10. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    It is my understanding that interstate truck drivers are exempt from overtime rules. I worked for a company in Rock Springs WY 15 years ago that sent everyone to Utah once a year so she didn't have to pay overtime.

11. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    The company is on thin ice and counting on goodwill from the drivers to not report them for not paying overtime, if the position is in fact a local driving job. A company I used to work for got sued in PA for this exact thing, and lost, despite occasionally sending drivers over state lines. The criteria the judge settled on...origin of load (PA), destination of load (PA), location of terminal (PA), duration of shift (12 or fewer hours). Pretty much says local, despite the company having interstate authority, and very occasionally sending drivers out of state. Judge wasn't convinced and ruled in favor of the plaintiffs.

Your local authorities may vary.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.