Landed an oilfield job

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Caustic-sam, Oct 5, 2015.

1. QualityMike

QualityMike Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2011
    North Dakota
    It has to be an Interstate load as part of their regular business. Not once a year. I worked for many years out of Portland OR. Many companies tried to not pay overtime by going into Vancouver once a year. State of Oregon would deny them on a regular basis. All it take is one person to complain. The State wants their taxes.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    I relocated for MBI... Lasted a year in ND before the bottom fell out.

They did that a lot to contractors, since they didn't have to pay them for sitting. As a company driver, I stayed busy my entire shift. If there was no work, I was called back to the yard.

I saw a lot of BS on the water side of the house. They have automatics now, so they hire a lot of kids fresh out of school that I wouldn't trust driving on pavement, much less lease roads. When I started, we all could drive, 6 months later... kids were showing up with AUTOMATIC ONLY restrictions on their CDLs!

I have never heard of anyone being charged for a flat tire. perhaps it was a contractor-subcontractor relationship you referenced? As for maintenance... it was actually spot-on, as far as PM goes. Beyond that? Depended on the mechanic and your other driver. A lot of guys would push off repairs in order to keep their productivity up and screw the next guy who couldn't/wouldn't take the truck out with a DOT violation.

As for Nunn, CO; the initial question: I had a friend relocate from Ross, ND to Nunn to haul oil. It has been a roller coaster ride the entire time, with more down time than up time. I don't know who has the most secure contracts, so if you were looking to relocate, I would get offers from multiple companies, drive out there and start asking around to see which one has the most work. This would secure your position in the near-term, and you can build relationships in order to switch companies when your yard loses too many contracts to stay busy.

Another note on MBI: 100% PAID EMPLOYEE FAMILY MEDICAL through BC/BS. I don't know of anyone still offering that, coupled with actual hourly pay, non-exempt. During the good times I would regularly take home $4k every 2 weeks (after deductions). 4 months ago I left... as I could barely break $3k. 25% less take-home due to loss of contracts, and just about all we hauled in ND was Hess (a royal PITA that nobody else wanted to deal with).

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Dick Danger Thanks this.
  4. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    Your math is off, with OT he'd actually be getting $1,600.

5. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    That's some funny math...

$20 x 40 = $800.
    $30x20 = $600.

$800 + $600 = $1400.

scottlav46 and Tractorman10-4 Thank this.
  6. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    JopMO
    Nope. He's right.

7. CasanovaCruiser

CasanovaCruiser Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Indiana
    I forget that OT for most is time and a half. My last job spoiled me with double time...sorry about that lol

8. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    You no pay me overtime? Me no work overtime. Get it? Got it? Good.

9. stevez57305

stevez57305 Medium Load Member

Jan 8, 2015
    Florida
    To the OP have fun seeing this going down a lease road when it has rained for five days straight and the cattle are running to high ground. Not trying to scare ya just letting you know get a good camera or a big sd card. You will never see some things on the asphalt cubie_20150322_220558.jpg

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Oh ####, that's a pretty harsh indictment right there!

Tractorman10-4 and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.