Landforce (Victorville CA) STAY AWAY!

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by AlphaHenry, Apr 6, 2014.

1. AlphaHenry

AlphaHenry Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2014
    Terrible Equipment! Constant breakdowns.
    Owners are cheap as hell and will keep you waiting sometimes days while they jerk around the poor vendor trying to service the truck. This has happened to me and several other drivers I work with.
    One time they kept me down two days (over a weekend) then made me drive an un-roadworthy truck to another shop so they could save $100 on a repair. How much do you think I lost during those two days?

They will dock your pay on a whim. They just make up policies on the fly and dock you for it. My buddy got docked over $500 for getting plowed in at a rest area and needing a tow out during a snow storm.

How about this: an air line breaks in NYC. A professional repair truck shows up, calls Landforce in CA with a quote for authorization to proceed, the company says no - too expensive - we'll call someone else. Later (after guess-who sits around earning nothing while the idiots in CA struggle to save a nickel) a guy in a car shows up (not a service truck, a car), he mickey-mouse's the airline back together. It breaks an hour later on a bridge.

I don't think I pulled a legal load in months. Always a marker out, bad brakes, bad tires, overweight, no permits, etc. It's always something. Bunk heaters never work.

A completely amateur outfit! If you value your license and your CSA score - stay away!

speedyk, Toomanybikes and Fuffster Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    You do realize that if you caused an accident you would be held liable since you were driving an un-roadworthy truck. Do your PTI's reflect the condition of the truck or did you just accept the truck at face value and drive it?

nightgunner and LGarrison Thank this.
  4. drozzer69

drozzer69 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Spring, TX
    Hint: no one can force you to drive bad equipment. As Mark stated if you had gotten into an accident, any equipment violations would have been on you. Hope you have left and find something better. Also it can be wise and time saving for you if a company allows you to fix minor problems such as lights or air line off the cab to the trailer.

5. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Now I know why they are always spamming Craigslist for drivers. Let me guess they pay on 1099, right?

6. AlphaHenry

Apr 6, 2014
    No offense, but that comment is terribly naïve. When you are 2000 miles from home and they won’t fix your truck you have three options:
    1- Pay for the repair yourself. You will NOT be reimbursed. I know, they refused to reimburse me for such a "no brainer" expense simply because the charge was “not authorized”.
    2 -You can refuse to drive. This is called “abandonment under load” and is career suicide. No one will hire a driver who has done this.
    3- You can drive with the defect.

I reported this whole situation to DOT and CHP. I asked them what a driver could do. They said a driver could volunteer for an inspection at any scale but that unfortunately, under the current system, there was no way for them to violate the company without points hitting the driver's CSA. In the end, DOT simply admitted the system was flawed.
    As for leaving them, I did. Make sure you've been paid before you do though!
    A driver I know left with pay still due and they did not pay his final check - pay and expenses over $6000,00. He
    could sue them for it, but what lawyer will take a case for such a small amount? Small claims court – a joke!
    The sleazy companies in this business have the game down. Drivers cannot win. You simply need to drive for a decent company or get screwed.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think I'd have to fix it myself, return the truck WITH the load to the terminal from whence the truck came so they can't cry "abandonment", and subsequently tell them where to stick their bad equipment.

8. drozzer69

drozzer69 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Spring, TX
    OK sure you just go and work for a slum company and don't even bother to check the truck out before you drive 2000 miles away. I stick to my statements. PTI THE DARN THING BEFORE YOU ACCEPT IT!!!

9. Lone Ranger 13

Lone Ranger 13 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    I called Landforce several years ago about leasing on my truck. Fuel was $2.00/gallon . They were paying $.85/mile and no fuel surcharge. I asked her 3 times if they were paying a surcharge because I couldn't believe they weren't. Her response was that they felt fuel prices had stabilized. Most companies start paying a fuel surcharge once fuel goes over $1.25/gallon. Other companies were paying about $.11/mile surcharge at that time.

10. AlphaHenry

Apr 6, 2014
    Who said I didn't PTI the truck before I left? Stuff breaks on the road. Especially when they do cheap shoddy maintenance in the yard. I've refused many a truck at the terminal. That's not the problem. The problem is when it craps out on the road and you're forced to drive it because they won't pay to fix it on the road.
    These trucks break down 2000 miles out, just like the trip when the bunk heater worked for two days then broke in minus 10 degrees and they wouldn't fix it or pay for a motel room, just like the marker light that went out four days into my trip because there was bad wiring and they wanted it repaired at home, or the chunk that flew off the tire way across the country leaving rib showing and they wanted it fixed 1000 miles away, or the brake pressure valve that seized in the Midwest. These problems weren't there when I left the yard, pal.

I don't know who you're driving for that only has breakdowns in the yard. I'd like to work for them!

ladr, dogtrucker and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. db2681

db2681 Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Dayton,OH
    I will say there should be a way to voluntary report at a scale house defects on the truck, in a way the driver doesn't get dinged for it. There are companies that will skimp on mant. or try to get you to make the delivery before fixing something, or not want to send roadside out to fix a problem and ask you to limp it to a truck stop. It would be a way to I think encourage drivers to hold these companies to providing safe equipment. While no one can force a driver to take bad equipment, in a lot of cases you get drivers who feel pressured or are worried about losing their jobs if you they don't.

Most any other industry that has a safety function has a self reporting option so the employee doesn't get in trouble for it. You would have to report the defects before an inspection or ask for the inspection on those grounds. Even the I.T. industry has self reporting for problems and they aren't a safety sensitive industry.

socal Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.