Landstar Load Alerts for independents

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Skate-Board, May 29, 2015.

1. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Any of you independents should be using Landstars Load Alerts. These are the same alerts that go out to the BCO's. The price and more details are in the emails.

BUT.....The big deal here is that many of those loads do not go onto the load boards like The Internet Truckstop.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  4. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    the load alerts show the rate to the trucker..it is 80% of the load gross revenue,,sometimes and a few agents will pay 85% or more it is up to the agent,When an agent brokers the load he splits how ever much he takes off the top 50-50 with land star , when he puts the freight on a landstar truck he only gets 7% of the gross revenue.
    I have had many landstar agents offer me 50% of the revenue,,real thieves,,
    Many landstar agents would rather broker loads because they make more money than they would loading a landstar truck,,As for their heavy haul oversize loads a large percentage of them the agents get from other brokers off load boards,,

5. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Not sure what your talking about. I'm an independent. The price in the load alert is what I get.

6. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I know...

This is what I don't like about Landstar.
    Pick up load on Monday, pump $300 in fuel tanks. Deliver next day and process paperwork. Pick up next load, $300 in fuel tanks, now out of $600 and the first check won't hit the bank til Friday, in the meantime your still pumping fuel everyday for a company that pays 3 days later.

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I have my parameters set on email alerts to where I see everything. My minimum is loads paying $1 gross revenue and I have no minimum set on the rate per mile. I do this not because I like to see cheap freight but it gives me a good idea when volume is picking up on my lanes. If you set minimum at $2.25 or $2.50 per mile or whatever you won't have a clue what the volume is or has been.

Volume matters because sometimes that $2.25 might be as good as it gets and sometimes that $2.25 might pay $5.00 or better. I even see loads that pay a whopping $1 on 500, 600 or even 800 to 1,000 miles or more. Obviously no-one will book that load for $1 it is an agent shopping for trucks to get the best price. Might be good, might suck. You will only know if you know your market.

Since the implementation of Landstar's new alerts where they give out more load details in the alert - I am somewhat taken aback by how much "HAZMAT NON-HIGH RISK OR AA&E" I see post up for ridiculously cheap rates. Lots of loads I have seen and never given another thought because the rates were so low. Wow. Who out there as an independent has the expensive insurance required and wastes their time with cheap hazmat? Do small companies really haul that stuff? For backhauls? I just don't get it. It is just as easy to book general freight for similar rates so why the placards, extra scrutiny, out of route bypassing metro's, etc? If I had solid haz mat contract freight there is no way I would haul someone else's brokered haz mat scraps for lousy general freight rates. In short, who does this? Does it really move so cheaply?

disoba and double yellow Thank this.
  8. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I'm an independent. There is no extra insurance required to haul hazmat. There's no difference to me hauling pallets of bagged sand and pallets of hazmat paint. If your in a good area for freight there's no difference in rates between hazmat freight and non hazmat freight.

I get a kick out of the loads alerts on some freight. I get a new alert on the same load going up $.05 cents per mile every 5 minutes.

9. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Your business cant float $1500 a week in fuel?

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    No extra insurance to haul haz-mat? What makes it so expensive then? Is haz-mat authority expensive? I was always under the impression it was just too expensive to bother with haz-mat authority just to work random spit freight.

Yeah 5 cents a mile every 5 minutes is funny. I guess it's supposed to be awe inspiring them eeking up their cheap freight a few pennies every few minutes. The good ones don't play around and they will rise by a hundred or more every 15 minutes or so until someone books them. Wasn't all that long ago if you saw one rise about four or five times in an hour $500 or more you could easily get another $500 above that posted price. That doesn't work so well here lately lol.

11. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    There is no special insurance and there is no haz-mat authority. You just haul it like any other freight. You just need the placards and endorsement on your license.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.