landstar, mercer, malone, ats??

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by mover man, Apr 16, 2016.

1. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Which one is better and why? Need inside scoop on FLATBED for each. To settle a "discussion" between 3 of us. Each one has different pay, dispatch, load availability etc.. Each one has different plus and minus. So only looking for answers from people who have actually worked at one or all of the above choices.

rainey05 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I leased my truck to Malone, and when the motor died, I did LP for a few months. The rates were good and as long as you didn't go to a bad area, you didn't sit. Their load board is pretty good, but some of their agents only post the garbage loads they can't cover.

Malone is all IC, so if you don't own a truck, and don't want to be an LP, it may not be the place for you.

4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. Should have said were all 15-20 years O/O's. Also looking for info like. How do you get loads. Load board vs dispatcher. Same day pay or weekly, good fsc you no the basic in's and out of how company works vs the others. Bean jr sounds like you decided to move on.

5. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. I stayed in Northwest Indiana. The fleet manager was very possessive, and would dispatch his trucks first. He posted his garbage to the load board. Most times I would travel to another company office, and they would dispatch. Drivers who ran out of other office would use the load board. Most loads on the board would show what the rate and FSC was.
    I went from NWI to Marshalltown, IA. The loads could be light and still pay. 375 miles, load paid $1,400, linehaul and FSC combined. We got 75% of linehaul and 100% of FSC. If I remember correctly, this load paid about $1,100 to the truck, making the FSC over $200. Fuel was over $350 at the time.
    To o/os they paid twice a week.
    Their ICs drove the gold pos, but most guys who owned their truck owned nice trucks, so they did ok.

6. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Mercer pays within minutes of delivery (they say 8 hours but usually about 15 mins). You can pick your own loads from the load board or let your coordinator find loads for you. Absolutely no penalty for refusing a load. The figures ($) you hear are to the truck so you know exactly what to expect. It includes FSC, tarps, extra stops or pickups and everything else.

drvrtech77, Mudguppy and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    Do they have year limits on tractor?

8. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    They just implemented something. I think you have to have a ECM plug so 2000 ish.

9. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Their website doesn't mention anything about equipment requirements. I certainly HOPE they don't start with any either.

10. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Landstar has a first come first serve self dispatch system. You book it, it's yours.

Mercer has a load board and coordinators but with a numbering system. The First ones empty are number 1,2,3 and etc... Whoever that is higher on that empty list gets priority on load picking... So if you book a load, you may get notified that your no longer on that load because someone who was empty first decided to take it...

And Malone, I can't say much about them, I haven't really studied their system enough...

11. Rooster1291979

Rooster1291979 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Mercer has beauty requirements. No turd buckets please.
    On the other hand I have literally seen parts fall off a landstar truck while it was rolling.

rainey05 and JimmyWells Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.