Late 90s Macks - 3 filters on driver's side, with air lines?

Discussion in 'Mack Forum' started by AnneK, Jan 18, 2015.

1. AnneK

AnneK Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2014
    I'm not a Mack person at all, and now that I have to work on one for some time I am finding out that there are some MAJOR differences between them and well...on the left side of the motor, the driver's side, there is a filter housing with three filters and one sensor with a 2 pin wiring harness. One of the filters has a hose connecting it from the bottom of the filter to the block. Another has a braided line connecting it from the top at the housing up into the firewall and that has the words air brake written on it, but this is not an air dryer. The vehicle has a Bendix AD-9 system on it which I already changed the cartridge on. These filters on this truck are so old, there aren't any numbers or anything, but it seems like there's a leak. Anyone know what they are? What they go to? Anything about them? The best I can find are a few off hand references to "twin filters" on the driver's side of a Mack, but these are triple filters, though they're on the driver's side, I assume the extra filter means something. There are no lines other then those I mentioned, so I really don't get it. It seems they share a single housing, but what needs three filters? What goes from the air brakes to the engine block? Unless that's an incorrect line, which makes a bit more sense to me, but still leaves me with the big question of what are they and why are they there.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    What engine? How big is the filter? Macks typically have 2 oil filters, and if Mack filters are used they'd be gray. Fuel filters are also spin-on...red is primary, green is secondary. There is also a Centrimax oil filter...top is removed and the spinner inside is replaced. Then, it might have a coolant filter that contains coolant additives. That won't be much bigger than an oil filter on a car, though, and not all Macks had the spin-on coolant additive/filter. Mine doesn't...filter kit comes with chemical packets that are added directly to the radiator. Those are the only filters I can think of off the top of my head. If you can upload a pic, it might help.

AnneK and wore out Thank this.
  4. AnneK

AnneK Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2014
    E7-350 is what the tag says. They are colored like the fuel filters (located on the far passenger side frame rail on this model) and this is not Centrimax style (though I haven't found something of that kind yet, haven't had to PM yet). They're regular spin ons, and they look a heck of a lot like the fuel filters except for the one with the line to the engine. I did find PS, coolant and hydraulic filters already. It's not possible this thing has 3 oil filters?

5. AnneK

AnneK Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2014
    WIN_20150118_170204.JPG

This is my awful picture of them, but it's kind of dark in here. This is left side of motor right in front of firewall. 3 oil filters? I've never heard of or seen such a thing, but I believe it. Mack can be strange sometimes.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  6. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    mine has 3 oil filters 2 regular spin ons then then centrimax. a 2 wire sesor above on the top and i believe there is a braided line that runs to the turbo from the oil filter location as well. the three filters are closer to the firewall 2 fuel filters are mounted a bit higher up and forward of the 3 oil filters.

wore out Thanks this.
  7. Mack427

Mack427 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2009
    you sir have found the oil filters Mack has used 3 oil filters since the 70's some have 3 spin on most 2 spin on and a centrifical in a canister

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  8. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    Mack makes filter kits by serial number. Thats because they were so all over the place with number and types of filters.

9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    the 2000 CH I drove with e7 motor had 3 oil filters and two fuel filters as well

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.