Lawyer

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by Starboyjim, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Drivers, I need a lawyer. I got ahead of myself and bent a stop sign over, about 45 degrees, in Danville, IL. Someone called the police, and when an officer came, we tried to bend it back up? It broke off. I got an accident report, which I deserved, and I got a ticket because of the accident report.

I admit the stop sign damage, kind of hard not to. But the ticket was for "going too fast to avoid an accident." That just isn't what happened. I was stopped waiting for a train to pass, made my turn from a stopped condition, 2nd gear. I just brushed the sign with the rear of the trailer.

I'd like to plead not guilty to the going too fast business. Can anyone recommend an effective lawyer who'll help me in Illinois? Or offer any advice how to proceed? My first experience with this. J

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try "ticket clinic" dot com.

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    just some fyi the too fast to avoid means you were going to fast for any condition that prevented itself. It is a catch all and is a very very broad umbrella.

Blackshack46 and Getsinyourblood Thank this.
  5. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Why'd you even stop?? Your Askin for trouble.. These cops today are programmed to initiate an issue when there doesn't have to be 1.

So I'm painting a picture here...You bent a stop sign..Waited for the police to show..he helped you bend it back (thinking this is the right thing to do,).. THEN, The stop sign support breaks in 2.... lol..And Then it goes from ASSISTING you to causing stress and aggravation via a accident report and ticket.

screw that....Next Time, Just go......Cops don't believe in "common sense" assistance anymore.

thejackal and bzinger Thank this.
  6. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    When someone damages state property such as a sign there is a immediate report etc at least here that has to be made.

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  7. johnboy023

johnboy023 Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Call the Vermillion County States Attorneys Office and ask to speak with the traffic assistant. Dont call on Monday morning, that is the worst day of the week to catch an attorney in a courthouse. Offer to pay $100 to replace the sign. In exchange they drop the ticket. There is a very good chance they will agree, the ticket is dismissed and you save lots of $$$ for a lawyer who may not be very interested in your troubles anyway, other than to get your check.

8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Try this first. It seemed the officer tried to help you out also. When we did a collision report we had to issue a citation. Now if you go to him after the collision etc. he may drop it for you before court. That is common actually and could save you money.

MACK E-6, NavigatorWife and Starboyjim Thank this.
  9. johnboy023

johnboy023 Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Illinois has a minimum threshold for accident reports of $1500 or more damage or injury to a person. In this case no accident needed even be done. Thats why i would recommend dealing directly with the traffic assistant as he/she will be aware of that. Trying to get an officer to dismiss a ticket in todays climate of anti-police will likely result in nothing.

tlalokay and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Of course I have no idea of what I am talking about.

KillingTime and Bakerman Thank this.
  11. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    I read this sentence four times and I'm still unable to decipher any meaning from this combination of words.

Getsinyourblood and 48stater Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.