Lease onto a company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ayub, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Ayub

Ayub Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2015
    I have been a truck driver for about 5 years, my last year being an O/O. I love the business but recently my back gave up on me... I now have 2 herniated disc's. Driving is not possible for me anymore and not everyday I am capable of getting out of the house. I heard of something called "lease onto a company" where I lease my truck to a company who will keep my truck running and take care of the loads and hire drivers on their own as I will receive a weekly or monthly income after all expenses and the company's percentage is paid. I know my income won't be much but as long as I get enough to live a comfortable life I'm okay with that but I would still like to know what kind of income should I be expecting? Is there anyone who can help me with more details about this? Which company's would lease my truck? And how would I go forth with the process? What are the pros and cons? Sorry for the long thread, and yet I know there's much more I should know about so please feel free to help me. I appreciate any advice. Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    You can less your truck to any company that uses owner operators. However, you must hire the driver. While, with a good diver, and leased to a good company, this will generate some income. Work only one truck, it won't be enough to live on.

truckon, Orangees, flood and 1 other person Thank this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    it's your truck so you must find and pay the driver

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    It's going to be tough to have much left over after all the expenses. This recently happened to a friend of a friend. He hired a driver for his truck, let my friend and one other guy lease onto him, and he's now dispatching those 3 trucks. Even then it looks like he will only make enough for a modest living.

Ayub Thanks this.
  6. Ayub

Ayub Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Thank you so much for that information Jason, and that free tool really is helpful. I am definitely aiming on getting a second truck after the winter with the money I have saved up now. And hopefully more after that. I know it won't be easy but with my health, I don't have much options and truck driving is all I know. I will keep your advice in mind for when I find the right company to work with. Again, thank you for the great tips.

7. fivestar

fivestar Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Also looking for similar information on good percentage pay carriers. Hope some experts chime in here.

8. PXI Incorporated

PXI Incorporated Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Ohio
    Thanks for that link! Very useful.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.