Lease-Operator during recession

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by tscottme, Sep 19, 2016.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Has anyone remained a lease-op with their current company during the last recession (2008-ish)? I have recently started investigated making a move from company driver to Owner-Op or Lease-Op. What happens to you if you are leased on to a company when freight gets recession-slow? Is that company's freight just divided among O-Os or is freight doled out selectively to some while other O-Os get nothing. Being a current company driver EVERYTHING is decided by my company based on seniority. As long as my company keeps any drivers working, I m "guaranteed" a job. I'm guessing during slow times the lesser number of shipments are divided among the O-Os and the O-Os that can't weather the slow times drop out, which leaves more freight for the O-Os that remain. I'm primarily considering lease-op/owner-op with a company like Prime or Schneider.

BTW, I don't see how we've managed not to have another recession since 2008. Various signals I see suggest we have one on the way, but I've been "certain" we will have one any day now since the Greek/Euro crisis in 2011, so what do I know. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2006
    We've never left it. Diplomatic jibber-jabber has just given the illusion things were/are better.

rollin coal and RERM Thank this.
  4. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    L/O, your bills remain the same every week or month no matter the freight situation. All companies don't care about you after you have paid them their cut for the lease. Slow freight = lower checks. Schneider gives you a better chance as you choose your own loads. At Prime you rely on a dispatcher and trip planner for your success & failure. Try to go with a company where you are paid a % and not per mile, you will make more.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  5. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    You see a recession coming and you what to buy a truck,,,,well I would wait until it comes then buy one at a lower price. The next one will last for decades and add on to the one we are still in.

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I think we are overdue for a recession AND I am doing research about buying/leasing a truck. I'll probably drive as company driver, recession or not, for another year even if I decide to buy/lease eventually.

7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    I bought my truck in 2008. Company I had been driving for pulled mostly pneumatic tanks and end dumps, with a handfull of flats and vans (but not many). I had been on tanks, but the truck I bought had a wet kit. So, I had them put the PTO I needed on the 8-bolt side, bought another PTO for the 6-bolt side to run the wet kit, and had the pump, hoses, and everything else packed into the side box (for future use, if needed). That turned out to be a good call, because 5 months later the economy tanked and so did business on the tank side...so I put the wet kit back on (so I was set up for both tanks AND dumps) and started pulling dumps hauling coal to the power plants through the winter. Next few years, I worked pretty steady...if it was busy on dumps and slow on tanks, I pulled an end dump...and when business flipped around so it was slow on dumps and busy on tanks, I'd drop the end dump, hook to a tank, and keep right on making money. After a year doing that, the company started setting some of their trucks like mine to save shop time converting trucks back and forth every week or two as one side picked up or the other dipped.

Versatility is key. You can't get locked into JUST one thing or else you'll have to ride out the slow periods. I don't care WHAT kind of wagon I'm pulling, show me the money. Where I'm at now, I'm primarily pulling a flat, but will drop that in exchange for a hopper, van, end dump, or any other kind of wagon. If the load pays enough to justify me running the truck, I'll pull whatever wagon is required.

51.50 and tscottme Thank this.
  8. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I was well into my second lease purchase in 08. People were going out of business because fuel was so expensive. It was never a problem for me because I had a fuel surcharge that was calculated weekly, based in the national average price of fuel. My 12.7 Detroit was averaging 7.1 - 7.3 mpg.
    The traders are planning on.raising the fuel price next year. Saw it on FBN.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.