Leasing a truck(not LP) and then leasing to landstar?

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by DC843, Jan 23, 2016.

1. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    I was wondering if I were to do an actual lease, like from Penske or Ryder where I pay a certain amount each month to operate the truck for a set amount of months. Not to be confused with a lease purchase from a company,

can I use a leased truck like this to lease(work for) onto landstar, or any other similar companies for that matter, or does the truck have to actually you know me in my name owned(or will be owned and are making payments) by me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    As long as you have documents showing you are leasing the truck you should be able to do it. They'll probably want the lessor to sign a "release of revenue" form. It basically says that LS will only pay you, your agreement to pay for the truck is your problem to handle should you fail to make payments.

4. Ribeye

Ribeye Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I would think so, seems many companies are doing just that.
    Only thing is, Ryder/Penske charge a lot more because you are using their authority, plates, permits, insurance, mileage fees, included maintenance. Or maybe that is just an option. But I think that is why their prices are really higher versus you buying/leasing equipment outright yourself. Call them up to clarify, they definitely know what they will do or not.

5. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    this is premature anyway I'm only beginning career as a company driver but I do plan on taking this route later on so just doing homework not about to just jump in the deep end.

well I would have to check exactly what kinda lease terms they have as far as if I can do it month by month or make a long term commitment, but I would really like to be able to work march through November for a few reasons, and I would like to not have to worry about a truck payment through all this time as I would if I went to buy a truck.

but its just a thought I would have to do homework on all the numbers first but its good to know its an option.

6. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    FYI I don't think you can lease a ryder/penske truck and lease it onto landstar……..

I know a guy who's truck was down and it was gonna be awhile and LS wouldn't let him do this…..

7. bomoto

bomoto Light Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Chattanooga Tn
    Out of curiosity I checked and they told me they only lease to carriers.

8. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    oh okay. buying a truck it is then.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.