Leaving current job to become car hauler

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Slappywhite, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Slappywhite

Slappywhite Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Wondering what to expect when starting a new position as a car hauler for a company

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tlalokay

tlalokay Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Just had a friend buy a car-hauler and tractor for car hauling. After about 3 weeks he's hanging up the gloves. He needed to be home every week and figured that as an O/O it would work. He's been with JB Hunt as an O/O for years now and he couldn't make it work.

Just FYI....

4. MrEd

MrEd Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Winfred, SD
    I have talked to a few car haulers over the years. I don't know about booking the cars to haul, or any of the that stuff. But the one common thread they all spoke of was the need to meticulously document absolutely every microscopic scratch or blemish. Even on wrecked/repairables. Damage claims will break you in car hauling. I don't know if this is something you already know......just thought of share.

5. pilot trucker

pilot trucker Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Ada MI
    you are super busy in the fall winter slow in the summer. At least that's what I was told by a business owner

6. cybertec69

cybertec69 Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2012
    My brother is a car hauler with 5 trucks in NJ and is busy as hell, does work in NJ, NY, PA, has private and corporate accounts, started with one truck 3 years ago.

7. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    Congratulations on taking the first step. Once it's in your blood it's hard to get out. There's going to be a desire to build speed like other drivers. Be careful not to let that desire cause damages. The main goal should be to load and unload damage free. Speed will come over time. Don't be a tie-down bar chaser. You need to minimize your walking because that costs a lot of time. I leave my bar by my controls. Watch how other drivers do it and ask questions. Don't expect too much out of yourself in the beginning or compare yourself to drivers that have been doing this for ages. They started out just like you. My company gives us $3000 Bank for damages. Whatever is left at the end of the year is yours to keep. Great incentive. Damage free year means $3000 goes in your pocket. Wear a fishing hat with a flap in the back that covers your neck in the summer. It will save your butt. Drink lots of water and don't go to a yard without it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.