LED side marker lights check light

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by RubyEagle, May 10, 2015.

1. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I updated the 05 VNL to nice new style led side marker lights. They shine bright and flash fine when flashers and blinkers are on. Yet now l am getting side repeater right and left check mesages and rapid dash blinker indicator flashes. Does anyone have any ideas why? Is my truck too old for these? Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    I had an 06 VNL and went to replace the rear turn signal with an LED one. Was told that I was have to replace to whole wiring or something…….That i would keep getting error messages on the dash...

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  4. Burdisco

Burdisco Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    It is because the lcm, light control module reads the resistance of the incondesent bulb and when the resistance is less then the set value it declares it at fault and shows a code. It thinks it broke and let's you know.
    Solution. Search ebay for the resistor that you can put in the line to trick the lcm or pay your local Volvo dealer to reprogram the lcm.

xlman78, Hardlyevr and RubyEagle Thank this.
  5. RubyEagle

Apr 17, 2010
    Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Does anyone have any idea if the 50 w 6 ohm resistor l found on EBay will work? The dealer in Indy has a two hour minimum to do the reprogram I'll just get the resistors. Thanks!

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  6. Burdisco

Apr 25, 2015
    Look up ohm's law. By using that formula you can calculate the resistance of a "regular" bulb and then see if the ebay offering is suitable.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  7. RubyEagle

Apr 17, 2010
    I tried the 50 w 6 ohm resistors on EBay and so far no luck. Still getting the side marker open circuit check light. Any ideas?

8. Burdisco

Apr 25, 2015
    To Quote Nuke E on the rvnetwork "as long as the LCM sees a load between about 10W and 80W, it's happy"

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  9. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    your dealers a scam. I have stood there with my volvo tech and changed all the voltage monitoring parameters because I was installing hid headlights and led markers etc. was done in 10 minutes, that dealerships a scam.

one problem is the system has to be working proper to change a parameter, meaning the original bulb must be connected.

I can't remember if the normal bulbs a 1156 or not but if it is a 1156 is 27w 13v.. that should help you find the right resistor. the volvo lcm is very picky.

KB3MMX and RubyEagle Thank this.
  10. benrab

benrab Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Quebec ,Canada
    I remember when you have led parking lights style on the end of the frame the truck is equipped with a harness who contain a diode because without this when it complete dark it possible you can see a very little bright lite in the middle of the parking light.
    Hope this can help.
    Ben

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.