Let's talk about the 'driver shortage'.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Joews, May 3, 2016.

1. Joews

Joews Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I know everyone has an opinion on whether or not there actually is a driver shortage, but let's discuss it anyway and how they can retain/recruit drivers.

Pay is obviously a painfully obvious big reason why, but I feel that there are a lot of things that companies can do differently to retain their drivers including paying for all things done while on duty.

Certain companies also shorting their drivers on dispatched miles in addition to not paying for certain duties while not driving.

When will the labor department get involved in this industry because it's painfully obvious that companies are just squeezing as much as they can from new blood truckers and they're claiming they don't know why their turnover rate is 102%.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Lobbyist use the "goods will cost more" argument. That about ends it.

4. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    There is an endless supply of cheap foreign labor flooding into US. All willing to work for peanuts.

x1Heavy, Western flyer, DougA and 10 others Thank this.
  5. superflow

superflow Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Guess we will have to give it up and let them have it....

x1Heavy and xxSTEELYxx Thank this.
  6. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    Seems kinda hopeless tbh so many different pay scales and company's trying to screw drivers over its insane.

I honestly don't even recommend truck driving to people unless you have a threshold for all the bs

7. xxSTEELYxx

xxSTEELYxx Bobtail Member

May 3, 2016
    You think its bad now.
    Wait untill they start letting drivers from Mexico drive thier goods straight up to Canada without restrictions. That's the part of the NAFTA they don't want you to know about.

Dharok, x1Heavy, bigjoel and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Retired2015

Retired2015 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    LOL just elect Bernie Sanders, he said if he becomes president, he would eliminate over the road trucking, which I dont think he could do it in 8 years? Personally, I think D.O.T. Regulations and increased competition is forcing companies to recruit cheap labor and they are using the driver shortage as an excuse to accomplish that mission? JMO?

sonicdaheghog Thanks this.
  9. canviskiller

canviskiller Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2013
    texas
    No need to bring cheap labor you have plenty of regulation that favors megas and plenty of natural born dumb A's that'll drive for $500 a week.

My opinion is that company's will keep paying absolute crap because no one is stopping them and people keep working for them! Most don't know any better and a recruiter tossed them a sales pitch and they jumped all over it.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    noluck, x1Heavy, bigjoel and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    There is no driver shortage.

The 'shortage' comes in to play when drivers leave a company within 6-12 months for 'better options'.
    Then they leave that company after a short time when the grass on that side is just as brown.
    And again and again.

The shortage is based on turnover, not the number of available and working drivers.

And, just curious, how does Bernie intend to eliminate OTR?

sevenmph, stayinback and canviskiller Thank this.
  11. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    There's actually an 'overage' of drivers// But a Shortage of 'truckers'

Definition of a trucker??

A driver who can perform all of his/her tasks without assistance of any kind,Service his customers safely and on time, And be an asset to himself,The general Public and the industry as a whole

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.