Let's talk fleet managers

Discussion in 'Prime' started by SavvyRed, Jul 17, 2016.

1. SavvyRed

SavvyRed Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2016
    So, my fleet manager is sick or out with a family emergency more often then I think he should be. Anyway. I'm stuck with the weekend and night dispatchers constantly and I'm finding it aggravating. Very, very rarely do I get a pre-plan.
    Tell me. Is it my manager? Are you guys getting better results with yours? I don't need names, but I've got my eye on another manager that I've heard is great. He's got my buddy a plan for 4 days from now. I've never had my manager look that far ahead.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Sales is the one that assigns you loads but your fleet manager can coordinate with them to get advance loads if there are ones available with enough time on appt window when you get unloaded.

Sometimes they just will not assign preplan because you are in a hot freight area & they don't know exactly when you would be done.

Weekend is clueless & can only assign loads approved during daytime as sales is not there nights. If they didn't approve a load in your area beforehand, SOL JWF.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    The last company I was leased onto I had dispatcher that would miss 2 days a week every month. Rarely did she have me a pre plan. Kept me running, I made good money, but I could not stand the helter skelter operating doctrine. And more than once when she disappeared for family crisis, illness, alien abduction, whatever, I was left with another dispatcher that would give me anything available, regardless of rate, just to get me off her board. I left that company. The owner & O/M were kind of indifferent because you made excellent money, but my view was every time I was poised to have an exceptional week, she would flake off, or couldn't find me a load. It was like they had the view " You made a lot of money this week, just be happy."
    Well I'll decide what is a lot, thank you.

So I left. I was going back to the guy I was leased onto, that paid by mile & FSC, but he paid empty as well, and I was always home on the weekend, and about the longest I ever waited for a load was 15 minutes. He plans everyone out for 2 weeks.

I remember the company I started with always said we care, team, blah, blah, but I was at the yard a few times, and what I observed is most of the people in operations ran out of the building like it was on fire at 4:59PM.

A lot of these DM's are pinheads. Don't kid yourself, they look at drivers as sub humans. I wouldn't hesitate to ask the O/M for a new D/M, for one thing he's going to say give your current guy a chance, blah. blah, so it just doesn't always happen real fast.

5. SBM92262

SBM92262 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2016
    Man, that has SO been my experience. My DM has F'd me time and time again. He/she/it is nasty, condescending, dumb, and totally inept. I get the feeling that I am viewed as a pest.

I've only been on the road for a few months (Swift), but continue to be shocked at how driver-unfriendly SUPPORT staff is -- especially my DM.

darthanubis and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I cannot even begin to tell you what do in that situation with Swift, you should talk to some guys in the Swift threads. @Lepton1

7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I was fortunate to work with an outstanding DM while at Swift. Night and weekend coverage could be spotty.

I don't know how the system works at Prime, but at Swift it was possible to change terminals. Some terminals from TM on down were notorious for poor driver relationships, while others were very good. Changing terminals was more involved than changing a DM, but I knew several drivers that switched to the Jurupa Valley terminal. Some from back east.

8. SavvyRed

SavvyRed Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2016
    I was sent to a load that didn't exist. I mean to say.. Someone messed up and there was no load to be picked up. They had me sit over night, having already sat for this nonexistent load I lost 2 days total. Ended up losing 500 bucks and 150 miles eaten. FM told me "you won't be compensated." Can anyone tell me how this happens? Does it have to do with Kraft and it's detention policies?

9. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    You should at least get a Truck Ordered Not Used fee.

10. $lim

$lim Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Atlanta , GA
    I agree ,it's not your fault they screwed up your fm is full of it , u should get paid for that bogus load , if not I would fire that sorry fm , he/she is trying to keep that $$$ for themselves , I have always got paid for cancelled loads or things that was not under my control , dnt let em get away wit that

11. $lim

$lim Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Atlanta , GA
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.