Level 1 DOT inspection- typographical errors...

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by MACK E-6, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    You never know which way a judge is going to rule. It can be anything from getting Judge Roy Bean, (HANG HIM,) to Harvey Milquetoast.
    It also could depend on if the judge had a fight with his wife before coming to work, or if he has gas. Even with a judge you have been around for years, the can pull surprises.
    I would say you might be better off with a scumbag er attorney. At least they have an idea if the judge ruled fairly, or pulled his verdict out of his arse.

25(2)+2 and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I've noticed that criminal and appellate court judges tend to be more willing to listen to exculpatory evidence, as opposed to a traffic court judge which IMO is little more than a glorified seat warmer.

Big Don Thanks this.
  4. Observer1

Observer1 Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Both C-20 & C-24 have a max travel length of 1 3/4. Up to that distance there is no violation. Anything more and you start getting violations.

I have seen where the inspection program will "drop" the axle count and if the inspector is not paying attention they miss it.

As far as the 24 vs 20 my guess is he didn't measure then. Most are 20's so most inspectors just assume.

If you Dataq something you are dealing with inspectors not judges. Win a Dataq then take that to a judge. Most traffic or small town judges don't specialize in the DOT regs so they would be happy to dismiss something that the experts have already ruled was incorrect.

5. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Some jurisdictions don't even use a judge for traffic infractions. Those will go before a "Traffic Referee,) who's only qualifications are knowing the right person, and quite possibly giving good head...

6. Observer1

Aug 6, 2016
    Also if your mechanics dont know the actual allowable lengths they may not know the difference between a 20 and a 24. Not all mechanics know as much as they claim or think they know.

7. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    Type 20 max stroke is 1.75". Apparently standard stroke type 24 is also 1.75" (2" long stroke). The size of the brake chamber should be stamped on the chamber. Grab a rag and wipe the dirt off the chamber and you should find the number 20, 30, etc. If you want to look it up in the green book, it's towards the back under Appx G Min periodic insp standards. It's p 725 in my book.

8. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, he's been wrong before, so that's certainly not outside the realm of possibility...

9. Observer1

Aug 6, 2016
    But if the inspector is the one that is wrong a Dataq is your friend. No fight with the cop on the street and running the risk of a pricy ticket and you get the violation removed from the inspection.

10. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    you passed.. what ya worried about?

11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Nothing. :)

I'm just trying to corroborate something I was told, which struck me as a bit strange. That's all.

dca Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.