Level 2

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TruckerVinny, Oct 28, 2016.

1. TruckerVinny

TruckerVinny Medium Load Member

Dec 10, 2015
    Ohio
    I got inspected due to the ABS light on the trailer. He sited that violation only. How does this effect me? Will it hit my CSA score?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Steel Tiger

Steel Tiger Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Cited add in a ticket or put on the D.O.T inspection?
    Basically if you don't get a "no violations" on the D.O.T report, it's points.

4. WiggleWagon

WiggleWagon Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Parked At The Fuel Island

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Reason for edit: Changed to avoid an argument over the definition of "score"
    Rusty Trawler Thanks this.
  5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Exrayman4000 holds his head in his hands in pure exhaustion as he screams as loud as he can WHY DO PEOPLE NOT GO TO THE FMCSA CSA WEBSITE and see that drivers ARE NOT scored. Again and for I know not the first time or the last time I post this website and THIS question. I admit it is confusing because there is a HUGE amount of federal gobbledygook and carriers are still actually teaching this. However this is not some fringe website, it is from the FMCSA CSA site.

Why is there no driver rating? Why aren't drivers more accountable?

While the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration does not use the Safety Measurement System (SMS) or any other system to assign formal safety ratings to individual drivers, the agency recognizes that holding drivers accountable for safe driving behavior is an important part of the safety compliance and enforcement process. Safety Investigators (SIs) always systematically investigate drivers with egregious violations when investigating a motor carrier. Additionally, SIs use the Driver SMS, an internal safety assessment tool, to review drivers with strong patterns of noncompliance. Any violations that are not corrected may result in a Notice of Violation or Notice of Claim for the driver.

HotH2o Thanks this.
  6. WiggleWagon

Aug 17, 2016
    Drivers inspections are tracked. They have (or not) a NUMBER of violations....... This is what the PSP is. While it is "optional" for the company to use, most do use it. Most will turn you down if you have too many violations. Even if a citation wasn't issued.

http://www.hireright.com/blog/2014/03/psp-vs-mvr-whats-difference/
    https://blog.bigroad.com/blog/8-facts-about-psp-scores
    http://www.overdriveonline.com/whos-keeping-score-psp-is-driver-info-gold-standard/#
    https://www.godfreytrucking.com/test-2/
    http://www.csa2010.com/articles/FMCSA_Driver_Pre-Employment_Screening_Program.htm

So....are drivers scored and treated exactly the same way CSA does a company? Nope.
    Are drivers violations tracked, and do those numbers matter? Yep!

Reason for edit: Appeasing somebody
    Rusty Trawler Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    So are you trying to say the FMCSA on its CSA website don't know what they are talking about? Am I understanding this correctly? Because your not debating me, your debating the FMCSA!

HotH2o Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    From the first link you posted.

The PSP information is obtained from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS), which is the same system which supplies data to the Safety Measurement System (SMS) used to create motor carrier’s CSA scores. However, drivers are not scored in the PSP as they are in the SMS and prospective employers will not obtain a driver’s CSA scores. Not all drivers will have information in PSP. Only those drivers that have had roadside inspections or DOT reportable crashes will have data in PSP.

I will remind that word score is NOT a FMCSA term. Now if you go look at my first post you will see where I underlined that the SMS is internal and NOT available to a carrier. Also that last bit about DOT Recordable crashes is not 100% accurate. People don't understand that the FMCSA only defines one type of accident. If a crash meets the criteria a carrier must enter it in their accident Register. I think this DOT Recordable thing is very close to the CSA bit as far as people not fully understanding it.

9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    PSP FAQs

What information does the Pre-Employment Screening Program (PSP) record contain?

A PSP record contains a driver’s most recent 5 years of crash data and the most recent 3 years of roadside inspection data from the FMCSA MCMIS database. The record displays a snapshot in time, based on the most recent MCMIS data load to the PSP system. A new snapshot is uploaded approximately once per month. The current snapshot date is posted on the PSP home page.

https://www.psp.fmcsa.dot.gov/psp/FAQ.aspx

10. WiggleWagon

Aug 17, 2016
    Okay, so we are going to argue a WORD rather than answer the persons questions. Okay.....:confused:

YES, it will go on your INSPECTION RECORD and CAN NEGATIVELY affect you.;)

There. I didn't use the word "Score" and I will edit my other post to appease you. Talk about getting drug down to someone's level and getting beaten with experience....o_O

Riffman Thanks this.
  11. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    CSA setup a system used by the FMCSA to use INTERNAL data to cull out dangerous drivers. This uses that driver history to do this. There is no score. No warnings come from these databases until the FMCSA determines a driver is simply too dangerous to drive then they will act to remove that driver. This is the intent of the CSA in regard to drivers. Before CSA drivers were not part of the process. Today CSA makes the drivers history part of a carriers CSA scoring. This is so hard to understand that we spent almost 3 hours in the classroom doing questions and answers much like logging gets these questions in driver meetings. Sometimes I don't trust even my understanding of all of this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.