Leveling valve on the back of cab

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by me myself and I, Jun 23, 2015.

1. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    I want to replace it, but I was told it needs to be calibrated. Anybody replaced it? How do you set it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Just remove old one and put new one in. Size your rod the same length. Not sure what you mean by calibrating, mine has 2 bolts that hold it in place and the rod. Good luck.

4. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    If it isn't leaking, and it isn't broke, why replace a perfectly good part? Had a buddy a while back that liked to do that...replace perfectly good parts with "new" ones because the old ones were, well, old. No telling how much longer they WOULD have lasted, since many of them were still going strong 20+ years after the car came off the line. About a year later, these "new" parts began to fail...so he was replacing them again. He wound up getting rid of that car because it was nickel and diming him to death...which if he'd just NOT "fixed" what WASN'T broke, it would've been a perfectly reliable car.

If it's broke, fix it. If not, save your time & money for something that DOES break, starts leaking, or just wears out.

5. me myself and I

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    That's what I was thinking. But when I went to buy it, I've ask service guy and that's what he told me. I've assumed that there is some measurement I got to do like with axle leveling valves.

6. me myself and I

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    And the reason I want to replace it is because that arm coming from valve is pointing down. And all trucks I've looked at have it horizontal

7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Does your valve work the way it is mounted? It may just be mounted different than the ones you looked at. DId you compare it with the same model truck you have. (all my valves the arms are also horizontal) Did your arm just come out of the rubber boot that attaches to base or did the boot break.

It does work the same as your axle leveler and trailer leveler valves.

8. TheEnglishMan

TheEnglishMan Light Load Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Easy job. Did mine earlier this year. Took about thirty minutes. As has already been stated, if you buy a new rod size it to the old one.

9. Moneymike

Moneymike Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Size it to old one...calibrate..lol..those shop guys are funny sometimes

10. nutcase

nutcase Light Load Member

May 2, 2010
    Meridian, ID
    If you are not if it works pull the rod off and move the arm up and down. If it doesn't inflate/deflate the bags its bad.

11. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    If the rod isn't sitting level it's probably not airing up the bags correctly.
    It should add air OR deflate until the rod is level.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.