Life on life's terms: One persons journey.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by momluvschloe, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    12 years old is the minimum.
    I know because I have had two of my daughters ride with me once they turned 12.

And 'register' means to provide a birth certificate, a picture and any other things that might be necessary.
    There is a 'rider packet' that you can get at any terminal that includes everything you need.
    There will be a $30 fee every month for insurance while the rider is on the truck.

I'll be picking up Leann in June. She's my 13 year old.
    Next year it will be Lorelei, after she turns the big 12.

And there may be a short period after you go solo that you can take on a passenger. 6 months I'm thinking.

momluvschloe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. momluvschloe

momluvschloe Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    4/22/15

Im feeling pretty good. I passed all of backing maneuvers today: 90 degree alley dock, sight side and blind side parallel parking, off set backing, and strait line backing. So now all I have to pass in the next two days is the pre trip inspection, which will qualify me for road training next week.

I have to admit, it hasnt been easy at all, Ive been applying myself and staying focus on the task at hand. No TV, No NBA playoffs. Basically come back to the hotel, take a walk over to the park for 45 mins and call my family and talk to them while walking, come back and eat, iron clothes, take a shower, study for a little while, lights out @ 9pm. 930pm at the latest. My roomate from Ethiopia is very focused also, so we get along just fine.

Its been hot and humid here in northeast Texas and that has been draining being out on the practice range, but Im keeping my eyes on the prize and basically its mind over matter at this point. Talking to my loved ones keep me going.

My Swift experience so far has been basically what I expected it to be: Im getting out of it what I have put into it.

Kindle and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  4. k1221n2

k1221n2 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Thats at why trucking companies don't like to hire young drivers, the best age for otr truck driver is a middle aged guy, let's face it young guys want to be out bar hopping every weekend.

Aflak and momluvschloe Thank this.
  5. momluvschloe

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    um, ok. thank you for sharing.

6. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hey!

I am down here with the class that started Monday!
    We did our first day of straight line backing today.

Feel free to reach out... I drive the white station wagon. Usually have my roommate a few others carpooling to range and lunch with me.

momluvschloe Thanks this.
  7. momluvschloe

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    Good luck to you! Stay focused on the task at hand, thats what I am doing.

8. momluvschloe

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    4/23/15

Today I passed my pretrip inspection, so now I am qualified to begin training on the road on monday. I am pretty excited to get back out there on the road to tell you the truth. Ten years later, im more focused, sharper, and disciplined to be able to handle the lifestyle and responsibility of being a professional driver.

So this evening I get to kick back a little bit and watch some of the NBA playoffs, because tomorrow I dont have
    to worry about passing any tests or inspections. My roomate from Ethiopia is going to take his state CDL test tomorrow and I wish him all the best. His intense focus and calm demeanor has helped me alot. Ive heard some of the nightmares of some of the other guys roomates.

This weekend I also get to relax and rest and get prepared for road training. Im gonna call my family amd talk to them and sleep as late as I want LOL.

Thats about it for now. Have a safe weekend everyone!

Kindle and Moosetek13 Thank this.
  9. momluvschloe

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    5/1/15
    Waco, Tx.

Sitting here @ the greyhound bus station a proud CDL holder! Took my test this morning here in Waco as well as my classmates. Came here from Corsicana early in the morning.

Nothing came easy this week. I expected to be ahead of the curve somewhat just because i had driving experience 10 years prior, but I had a rude awakening. So once I ate my piece of humble pie, I was able to learn the basics of how to be a safe driver out here on the road and earn my CDL again.

My instructor, Mr. B, was a darn good teacher, and I am glad that I had him as my road training instructor.He is ex-military, and he trained us as such. He was hard on us, and yelled alot, but at the end of the day, all three of us passed our state CDL exam this morning. I will forever be grateful to Mr. B for teaching us what we needed to know.

So now, Im headed home for a week. I start Orientation up in Lancaster on May 11th. Im gonna enjoy this week with my family, drink a few beers, BBQ some meat, and watch the big fight tomorrow.

Its a big relief knowing that I have a good career ahead of me and this time, Ill be ready for it.

Kindle Thanks this.
  10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Your next hurdle is your mentor.
    Some are very good, and some are very bad.
    Most are right in the middle.

Keep your head on straight during that training period.
    You got your CDL, but you are not a real trucker yet. You still have to learn to plan a trip properly, back into docks that are more difficult than anything in testing, and so much more.
    Have you ever dealt with time zones? Those things can be a challenge, just trying to figure out the correct hour you need to be somewhere - is it the same, an hour earlier or later?

The key point is... Take your time in everything you do.
    Don't let anyone rush you.
    Always take the time that YOU need.
    Always keep in mind that it is YOU that is responsible for getting the load there on time, and safely. And it is YOU that actually makes the final decision on what load you accept, or in what conditions you will drive in.

It is you that determines if you can safely deliver a load at the pre-determined delivery appointment, and it is only you that can say NO when you need to.
    Never let a desk jockey make that decision for you.
    And don't let a trainer/mentor do it either.
    While you are in the drivers chair, YOU are the Captain of that truck! Always do as YOU see fit.

Keeping that in mind, there will always be circumstances that challenge you.
    A very tight dock, other drivers getting impatient with you're skill level, a mentor that simply wants more miles... etc., etc...
    In every circumstance, have patience.

Take your time to do it right the first time, and that will mean planning things in advance.
    Taking the time to properly assess the set up to back in to that dock, and taking the time to make the necessary moves to make it possible. Go slow!
    Get Out And Look, if there is ANY doubt of your position!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Taking the time to check your probable route before you accept a plan, because many roads may be slower than Plus-1 allows for.
    Making sure you have allowed enough time for breaks along the way. And that may mean some extra time to do laundry or take a shower without it impacting on your time to get much needed sleep.
    You also have to plan for shopping time to get the food you need in the truck, and time to cook it.

Well, for now, that is my advice.

momluvschloe and Akula Thank this.
  11. momluvschloe

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you moosetek13,

I really appreciate all of your advice.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.