Life on life's terms: One persons journey.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by momluvschloe, Apr 3, 2015.

1. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    We had 4 'holdbacks' join our class last week... as well as three from our class.
    ALL OF THEM have no business operating a truck.

If in this perfect controlled and secluded range with nothing to pressure.. and everyone willing to help. Someone cannot get these basic maneuvers/backing skills... I just cannot figure out why they were allowed to pass.

The only thing I can figure, is that the school is just trying to get as much of that 4400 as possible... maybe attempting to throw it on DPS to weed them out next week??

As much time and importance the company placed on safety.. I cannot imagine for a minute that these folks would get trusted with a truck on their own. I really expected to see people getting busses back to the hotel to pack. It was mind blowing to see them happy as clams back in the classroom updating logs... getting ready to enjoy our weekend off.

momluvschloe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. momluvschloe

momluvschloe Bobtail Member

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    um, thanks for sharing.

I had to earn everything last week out on the road training. It didnt come easy. Maybe it will for you. Good luck.

4. MM3Deg

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I didn't word that last post very well.. I intended for it to be a question, or rather to gain some of your insight having completed the final week.

Just seems odd that folks who struggle still with the backing maneuvers.. more especially those that don't yet have a handle on straight line backing... would be allowed to advance.

At @$170 per day, or whatever the tution fees are.. just seems that the 'right' thing to do would be to let these guys know they don't have what it takes, and cut them loss. These guys are about to rack up another 3-5 days in tution expense.

Would you say you had a fairly decent grasp on most of the basic skills?

Would you agree that struggles with the basic skills indicate a high likelihood of failure going into the 'real world' road phase of training?

I am pretty curious about the situation... but really just trying to make conversation about the program.
    Don't mean to sound critical.. its their program to run how they please. Its just puzzling after all the emphasis on safety, and being professional, serious and focused that was instilled during the first week.

I am still very impressed with the company and very happy things worked out for me to be here.

I also agree that handling these trucks is much more difficult than I anticipated. Straight line backing, had that figured out on my third attempt.
    The other maneuvers... I would say took about 3-5 hours of practice to get the drill/rhythm/positioning down. And I still need plenty of practice to perfect the offset and parrellels.... I would assume that is something that can only come with time and experience.
    The 90 dock... that just clicked for me. Its a lot of fun for me, I like that I can watch the bumper directly by looking out the window. I have that one nailed down pretty smooth and clean. I had to spend a couple of points on pull-ups with the offset, and about every third time I blind side park... I have to do a pull up.

Some of the things I am seeing from those few... trucks still getting pushed into jack knife, and confusion STILL on which way to turn the wheel in relation to guiding the trailor.

5. momluvschloe

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas

My advice is: keep it simple, do what you gotta do to pass the state exam, dont worry about other folks too much, and listen to the road instructors.

Also, dont be too shocked when you see those same people you say are struggling with maneuvers on the range still go friday to Waco and pass the CDL test.

good luck.

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Well said.

In the end, we are on our own.
    We can't base our success on others, or even worry about what they are doing - except to avoid them when they swerve into our lane.

The instructors are not there to mess with you, but to make you a good and safe driver.
    Some instructors are better than others, just as some drivers.
    The worst of both will weed themselves out in short order.

Our only concern is being the best that we can be, personally.

7. momluvschloe

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    5/4/15
    Monday.

I had a good weekend being back home. Its good to be back with the family and seeing the pride in their eyes of me getting through the Corsicana Academy and earning my CDL.

On Saturday I woke up, took me a nice walk around the neighborhood and ate a healthy breakfast. The rest of that day consisted of drinking massive amounts of Heineken (my favorite) , watching the NBA playoffs, eating tacos, and also NOT seeing the big fight. The sports bar up the street was charging $20 per person to get in and watch the fight. Um, no thanks. I did get a nice beer buzz (basically drunk), listened to some Bob Marley, and enjoyed being with my family. A complete day.

Sunday was hangover day LOL. Well, at least until the afternoon, then I focused up, ate something, took a shower, and met up with some old musician buddys of mine and we had a good old jam session/drum circle at the center for refugee services. There are alot of refugee families on this side of town that I live. They come from all over the world: Nepal, Africa, Middle East, etc. and so being around all this beautiful international energy truly made my day. I was glad that I reached out to my buddy Mario and he invited me to the centers open house / jam session. My buddy conga Bob showed up also, he is an absolute beast in hand drumming! We had a little fun in call and response drumming, it was like old times.

Texas is where I really cut my teeth as a musician and honed my technique before I left for Los Angeles. Never did I think when I first started drumming that I would have began to get paid as a working musician and going on tour, performing on legendary stages in and around Southern California, and meeting all types of people that I met. African/Afro-Cuban drumming has been good to me.

So now, Im going to enjoy the rest of this week, and slowly get prepared for next week. I think Ive already secured a mentor through power of networking. I have a buddy who already works for Swift and so he's connected me to various Swift Drivers via facebook. More will be revealed on the mentor situation. If you are a newbie like I am, I highly recommend you reach out to other Swift Drivers with experience on facebook, send them a personal message, join the various Swift Trucking communities that are on there, and even on this awesome forum also. Do not be discouraged about the crap you will hear about Swift. We are the biggest company in this industry for a reason, so they must be doing something right. Haters will always hate, let them stay in their little angry and disgruntled hole.

Thats about it for now. Life can be an amazing journey if you so choose to make it that way.

inkeper and HousTank Thank this.
  8. MM3Deg

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    I,m at the Lancaster term. Only one to get a handle on shifting, so I got to drive. About to try the taco truck!

inkeper and momluvschloe Thank this.
  9. MM3Deg

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Everyone passed in waco today!

10. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Shocking! Figured you might be the only one.

11. momluvschloe

Jan 16, 2015
    Texas
    hey congratulations to all of you!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.