life with roehl

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by holly123, Jun 19, 2016.

1. holly123

holly123 Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2016
    northern virginia
    hello there,
    I am serious about going to start out with roehl, and i was wondering if there is anyone who likes working with the company, and what are the hours like, and does the dispatch they treat you ok if things on the road are unsafe, thanks, holly

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I trained with roehl and drove for them back in 2012-13.

Long story short, it's a great company to start with, get your year in, and move on to something better. Not that it would be bad to stay there, it's just that after you get that year in, it opens up a huge window of opportunities for the easier, higher paying jobs out there.

Which division are you planning on?

4. holly123

holly123 Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2016
    northern virginia
    i was thinking of going class a refrigerated national, what other companies would be better than roehl when i get a year or 2 experience? thank you everyone for reading

5. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I don't know much about their reefer side, in terms of pay and miles and all that. But the few reefer guys I have talked to over the years seem to like it.

A little tip with roehl: try to get into a dedicated account. The pay and miles are about the same, but you will only serve one customer so the freight will be more predictable and you will get treated better at shippers and receivers. They have numerous dedicated accounts, but they don't always post openings, so you have to ask about them.

As far as better companies, that will depend on where you are and what you want. Will you want to continue driving otr? Many drivers like to get into a local or ltl gig, as they typically pay more and are home daily. For me, driving otr became stressful after a year, so I got into local day cab driving and I have a pretty good job now, I am quite happy.

@Chinatown is our resident guru on the best companies to go with. He is the guy to talk to, he is a wealth of information.

6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good plan; got with reefer national division.
    Where is your location; if you decide to leave Roehl after 1 yr. you may be in the hiring area for Holland Enterprises Inc. which hires drivers with 1 yr. experience.

Put your location on your profile.

7. holly123

holly123 Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2016
    northern virginia
    i am planing on staying national for more work and pay, im in northern virginia, thanks

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Northern Virginia; good location. Abilene Motor Express is in Richmond and would be good if you decide to leave Roehl after 12 months. Several other good options, but Abilene is close to you.

9. avenger79

avenger79 Medium Load Member

Sep 13, 2010
    WIS
    except if you do the paid to get your CDL plan, you need to stay 15 in order to not owe them any $$.

3 extra months is not bad to stay and avoid paying out of pocket for training.

minirack Thanks this.
  10. Bfennell

Bfennell Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2016
    Indiana
    Holly, considering Roehl as well. Possible Sept start. Waiting for my apartment lease to end

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.