Lights, gauges cutting out in 2013 386

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Manonfire, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Manonfire

Manonfire Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have a 2013 386, with 430k miles, that's having electrical issues. As I'm driving, my interior, exterior, and gauge lights and gauges will all die. Even my Jake cuts out, and sometimes the AC blower. After about 30-60 seconds they'll all kick back on. Itll do this 5-6 times a day. My little cheap code reader says "DTC442, Battery circuit fault; ECM voltage above normal range."

I'm thinking it might be an issue with the voltage regulator in my alternator, but since it happens out of the blue, the test meter doesn't help.

Anyone have this issue? Any mechs on here that recognize this issue and can help? Thanks to all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Check the ground wire for the truck.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I would check all your battery, alternator and starter connections first (positive and negatives). Then I would inspect the ECM harness for any visible damages and the ECM power/ground wires.

5. Manonfire

Manonfire Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Big thank you fellas, I'll do that. Also, does anyone know where I could get the schematics/repair manuals (in PDF) for this year and model?

6. Pegasus50

Pegasus50 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    you wouldn't happen to have any other accessories running off of the main buss. For example an A/C Inverter; are you running with an APU?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.