Limiting DEF at truck stops.

Discussion in 'Swift' started by Moosetek13, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Subutai

Subutai Bobtail Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Swift pays me to pump def. they also pay me for all my breaks and lunches. And all the time I spend sitting (which is a lot). Since I went from OTR to an hourly position I've been a lot happier. Might be worth looking into.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I don't work at Swift yet, but I usually put in 70 gallons of fuel a day and a gallon or two of def to top off the tank, so I never let it get to where I could put in 5 gallons, mmmmmmbop

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I'll make Swift happy tomorrow when I fill the DEF tank at Edwardsville. I t-call a load there.

5. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sorry moose but as a Swift shareholder, I'm going to need you to deal with the inconvenience so next quarters earnings report looks better and I can sell some shares. Hope you understand buddy!

6. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Not a problem, and I'm glad to help since you put it so nicely.

plant Thanks this.
  7. pumpkinhead

pumpkinhead Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I don't even know how to get DEF at a terminal. Shop staff are quite the opposite of helpful.

jason6541 Thanks this.
  8. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I seldom have any problem with the shop people.
    Last time I was at Edwardsville I went in and said I needed DEF. The guy came right out and pumped it.
    As it was filling he took my oil bottle in to refill it.

9. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    My truck's deaf to def...

I agree with pumpkinhead. Swift shops with two exceptions are so worthless I wouldn't let them open my door.

Had a go around with one of the drones in the trailer inspection bay at Laredo last week that resulted in a conference call with the shop manager and my fleet manager. Shop manager (white) stated because I'm white I obviously expected more from his people which resulted in a rather obscene tirade from me as well as my fleet manager, Pedro Ortiz. My folks raised me to be better than that and Pete, who I've known for the last five years, backed me up.

I'll be delivering in Laredo on Saturday and I might be in jail by Sunday.

10. Moosetek13

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I don't get into fights with people because of race, creed, sexual orientation or... whatever.

But I did have a run in the other day (yesterday, actually) when I responded "How can you plan me when I don't even have a delivery time...Stupid &%#^*&" to a pplan. And the 'special characters' were to that effect. I did not spell anything.

Well, I was on a load that had no delivery appointment time; and I am planned on the 00.00 delivery time and the 0200 PTA time that was initially set. And it didn't even take into account my available hours if I did deliver at that time.

It turns out that the planner was just planning on the PTA, not noticing that there was no appointment time.
    My bad, as much as his.
    I called him to express my apologies for my rudeness.

There is a lot of misunderstanding out here between the drivers and all the other people in our company.
    Sometimes it seems like a war between factions.

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Gotta figure Swift has perhaps over 10,000 gallons of DEF spread throughout their vast terminal network. The stuff does have a limited expiration date so what they may be trying to do is use it up before it expires. No sense in paying $1.50 a gallon for 10,000 gallons just to dump $15,000 down the storm drain because drivers never stopped in to the terminal get a few gallons. So all that bulk savings goes right down the drain plus they are paying premium for drivers to pump it at the truckstop unless they can get the drivers to come in to the terminal to get the DEF.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.