Linears: Tell me what I need to know before I buy

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Grumppy, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I've been wanting a small 100 watt linear for several years but just haven't made that jump.

I started "CBing" back in the mid 70's. I've been in trucking, some local, some regional for about 28 years. For probably 20 years I ran Galaxy a Galaxy 33 &/or Galaxy 44, both of which were turned up. The 44 got stolen at work & the 33 finally just wore out. So, last year, I finally took it out & bought a Cobra 29 LTD. It's stock as I have never turned it up. Instead of turning it up, I want to put a small 100 watt box behind it.

What does a linear noob need to know before I buy.
    Brands?
    Beware?
    Features?
    Etc....

FYI, I'm in a 2015 Cascadia using the built in antenna. I am pretty sure its not ideal, but will it take a measly 100 watts until I can do better?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Sounds like a waste going so small. I would recommend something class a/b biased with 2 2sc2879 transistors to closesly match the output of a cobra 29 or 4 of those transistors to match the output of something twice as big.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    A bit of sage advice

Don't bother with anything, especially a linear until you get a good antenna system in place, then you may not need one.

Blaskowitz, Turbo-T, handlebar and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I appreciate your input & I'm pretty sure you know exactly what your talking about. However, I dont have a clue what your saying... LOL
    When I said "Noob", I am saying, if someone asked me to give the name brand of a linear... I wouldn't have a clue. Much less whats inside one.

6. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Amps are a waste of time until you master antenna systems. Here are specs for the 2sc2879
    [​IMG]

Maximum 10 watts pep drive per transistor

Turbo-T Thanks this.
  7. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    I would take that road get yourself classic reliable radio well tuned with a good antenna system.

Less troubles for about the same performance as 100W amps.

I had big and small amps in the past, now barefoot radio well tuned and good antenna...to me the little that you will get out of a small amps doesn't worth the aggravations.

Good luck!

handlebar, rabbiporkchop and Grumppy Thank this.
  8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Amps aren't exactly plug and play like car audio stuff.

9. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Which is why I asked for info/advice. Twice I have admitted to being a complete noob on linear's. Just looking for advice on basic/noob/layman terms that I can understand so I wont just "plug & play" & expect it to work correctly. Technical terms isn't something I will understand being uneducated on electronic components.

Blaskowitz, DRAGON64 and Ougigoug Thank this.
  10. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016

11. bored silly

bored silly Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2016
    a irf 520 mosfet is good for 25 to 28 watts pep. theres 8 of them in a galaxy 98 vhp turn that radio up past 225 watts and your asking for trouble.. the galaxy people will tell you that. a 2879 pill is good for 100 watts rms per pill. therefore a 4 pill amp is good for 400 watts rms and 800 watts peak on a bird meter. 8 pill is is good for 800 watts rms and peaks at 1600 watts on a bird meter, they consider peak as the same as pep ............

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.