List of Items to Make a Flatbed Drivers Life Easier:

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dcedlr, Sep 23, 2007.

What is your personal freight preference?

1. *

Dry van

15.6%
  2. *

Reefer

7.1%
  3. *

Flatbed

73.0%
  4. *

Tanker

8.5%
  5. *

Doubles/Triples

2.8%
  6. *

Other

6.4%
  1. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    Yeah, but you still look like a dang monkey....:biggrin_25525:

Backing,yeah...I haul concrete pipe and one day I had to back down a road for 1 mile...Alright, alright, it was straight as a arrow and level. We do a lot of off road work getting to construction sites. Had one where they just hooked you up to a dozer and drug you about a 1/2 mile to the unloading spot, then drug you back out again. Hate that mud.

At least we don't have to do the tarp thing. Too old for that, shucks, may be too old for this.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Yeah; if you only del in the middle of the desert!:biggrin_2554: This is the avg dock we hit. http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr.../50204-evo-i-ten-days-without-reportable.html and we hit all the big cities as well......:biggrin_2554:

4. User Name

User Name Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Midwest
    HA...HA...HA...HA..HA...!!!!!

The Sears Tower behind my trailer says different and this was an over length, over width load on a expandable trailer. I had to travel the IL State routes by daylight & Cook Co roads by night. Try finding a place to park an oversize load around Chicago & wait for night.....Chicago's always fun.

[​IMG]

kaiwren986 Thanks this.
  5. EasyMoney

EasyMoney Bobtail Member

May 8, 2008
    northeast MS
    Dang Jolliroger, I was taught wrong it seems! We put salt on the floor of the trailer and when they went to lick it up we nailed their tongues down. They wouldn't move a muscle!!!!!!:biggrin_25525:

6. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Your out of mind...... no backing??? No docks???? No big cities???:biggrin_2554: Tightest docks I have hit is with a 10 ft spread..... I go everywhere vans go and then some places vans don't/ won't go too...:biggrin_2554:

7. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    The only time I could claim this part of your post is when I was with DuPont/Conoco and was hauling cyanide exclusively.

8. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    That's the trouble me being old.
    So much has evolved in the industry it is a whole new game now.
    I hear some guys are even drilling the hoof, using wood screws. and filling the hoof holes with "bondo" at delivery.
    Something about "damage claims" being filed.
    (He was in used car business in Booneville earlier and had plenty of "bondo" on hand...)

9. Rodeo_Joe

Rodeo_Joe Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Blackstock, Ontario
    why is that all them hay haulers always risk it an run without enough or any straps? They lose a lot up here too.
    Flat bed is the best way if you can handle the work load. Just remember to go a lil overboard on the straps/chains..... They wont charge you for havin too many...... wont lose your load that way

10. dockthumper

dockthumper Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Owen Sound, ON
    Always over strap :)

Be careful if you twist straps, in Quebec they ticket you per twist.

11. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    Secure, secure, secure is the way to go pulling flats. I've allways pulled flats since I got my license and I dont think I want to pull anything else. If you dont know how to secure something dont be ashamed or embarresed to ask, most of the time the person loading you will know how other drivers would secure a load. The work is a lil more invloved which I love it keeps the job interesting. Plus every load is different, so each one is a challenge in its own. I personally love pulling flats and if you give it a chance I thing you will too. Any other ??? feel free to ask.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.