live web tracking

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by dannythetrucker, Jul 4, 2015.

1. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    This is something I've talked about on here a few times. I always wanted to have a map on my website which shows my location in near real-time. It's for my customers to see where their load is at with a click, and if they're going to my website it gives me a chance to make an impression as well. If anyone has an interest in it, it was actually fairly easy to do utilizing an android app called PublicBadge. They have instructions and a short embed code right on their website. I also am using hostgator for hosting, and they have a plugin of Weebly which made designing the website a snap. I've never built a website before and had this done in less than a day.

I'm sure there will be some who would not like people to see where they are 24/7, I can understand that. But I'm hopeful the positives outweigh the negatives with it. And I can also shut the app off on my phone if I want to disable it for some reason.

icsheeple, tsavory, ReeferOhio and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    JopMO
    I like it. Might have to do that so my grandson can track me. I already have a website.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    The updating may take a lot of data on phone. I can keep up with hubby most generally with Life 360, but there are times that it is not in sync with where he really is.

Good luck with the program though if you are hauling freight for others. I believe a lot of companies have a similar program to keep up with their trucks and freight, but it wouldn't be public domain.

5. dannythetrucker

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I've only had it running a couple days, but so far it is showing <0.01 Gb / day on data, that is a good sign. Yes, many companies have ways to see where there trucks are but I am excited to offer customers the opportunity to also see where their load is with a click, as well as brokers being able to see my location with some info about next availability in the twitter feed below the map. cheers !

6. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    You've motivated me to create a website and offer something very similar. Thanks ####### ;)

Rocks, ramblingman and dannythetrucker Thank this.
  7. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Seems to me that a public domain website with live tracking wouldn't necessarily be a good thing to have on those high dollar loads. Sure, the customer knows where you are...but so does somebody looking to boost whatever it is in your trailer. Maybe I'm just a little paranoid about things like that, but it's why you don't talk about what you're hauling or where it's going or anything like that over the CB or at the truck stops...never know who is listening or what their intentions may be. Now if you want to do this for the benefit of your customers, I'd look into what needs to be done in order to secure the site and password protect the tracking portion, and give the customer a log-in ID and password that will work while their freight is on your truck. Once the load has delivered, their login ID could direct them to a page where you thank them for their business, and they can view a scanned in copy of the signed BOL as proof of delivery...perhaps even a screenshot of the final tracking map showing your route with you at the destination...but they would no longer see the live tracking map.

That would take more time keeping up with that, but would offer more security and protection for you and your freight.

8. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Once a broker sent me a link to download an app. You put a code in the app and it starts tracking you untill you drop off the load. The app has gps working all the time, it was draining my battery too much, so I just killed it. I dont remember the name of it, but it was something with macropoint.co

TripleSix and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  9. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    You don't need to build a website to do what you're wanting to accomplish (unless you just want to go through the hassle). There are plenty of free apps available online that allow people to log in and see where you are. A quick search turned up one that might do what you need-- GPS Phone Tracker Pro. "GPS Phone Tracking Pro can pinpoint the location of registered mobile devices, smart phones and even old school feature phones via the app’s website, 24/7. Just log in and your phone will appear as an icon. Click on the icon to view the location of the missing mobile phone. "

I can't vouch for how good it is, all I know about it is that it came up first in a search on "GPS tracking app". I'm sure Apple has just as many if not more. And you get to maintain some degree of control over who can access it.

Rocks Thanks this.
  10. dannythetrucker

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    I used one called Glympse for awhile. But the link expires and it was a data hog.

I actually want a customer to be able to see where I am even when I am not on their load, and where my next availability will be. I want people to be able to bookmark my webpage. I want the traffic going to my website.

I get what you guys are saying, on a load by load basis there are other solutions. I just don't think you are seeing the big picture of what I'm trying to do with it, but that's okay.

I really don't haul high value loads with a stepdeck trailer, but as mentioned in my post I can simply shut the app off on my phone and go incognito anytime I want too. Although I suspect criminals looking for a heist probably just follow them out of the warehouse or whatnot than playing Perry Mason on the internet. By the time they get through all the truckers posting their whereabout's on here and facebook I guess they can come try to take my load.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
  11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.