Livestock Hauling

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Ckxtreme, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Ckxtreme

Ckxtreme Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Hey guys,

Anybody here a bull or hog hauler? Even more specifically out of Alberta? I'm looking for real world info into the daily work life that livestock haulers live. See, since I got my class 1 I've had this dream scenario in my head that cattle hauling is the place for me. Granted I've never really been around them as I grew up in metro Vancouver. But since then I've moved out to Edmonton, and then to a small town outside red deer and I really like the rural/country style of living. In my head I have it that these drivers are the last remaining Cowboys on the Wild West, and it's a fun job, with great income potential. So in my mind I have it that I've moved my family out to an acreage, and I owner/op some custom Pete 389 or Ken W9 and make a great income and I live happily ever after.

So I ask... What's it really like? From what I read, sleep can be a problem. Is that still true with all the laws and rules? I get that you have to be a very aware and cautious driver, avoiding any and all sudden moves. Is the income there? Is it enjoyable, or is my dream just that?

Teivel VP Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cottonmouth85

Cottonmouth85 Bad Influence

May 3, 2012
    Floresville, Tx
    I know some others will weigh in. It's not what it used to be and it's a #### hard ride, but I'm a big believer in following your dreams.

4. Tai

Tai Medium Load Member

Since no one else is posting I'll give my limited info. Take everything with a grain of salt.

I'm not a cattle hauler but I do work for a company with a cattle hauling division. Which uses its cattle pods to haul dry freight west (after cleaning, sanitizing them and plastic wrapping them) and cattle bag to ontario/quebec. Everything I've seen is they have to follow a lot more rules. They can only keep the animals on the truck for a limited ammount of hours. (They off load them in Thunderbay I believe and then reload them in the morning.) Its a walking load so its harder to control. It smells. Its not pleasant to walk by the trailers before they're cleaned.

Advantages I've seen (these are for my company only.) Is you stick in Canada only. (I don't like this but others do.) They get nicer trucks. 13 speed T680s and Lonestars vs Prostars. More freedom to control loads then van drivers get.

I hope someone with first had knowledge can give you better info.

5. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Stick with Boots.

6. Ckxtreme

Ckxtreme Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Ah... You know them?

I'll be honest the horror stories I've been reading online, hearing etc about a lot of companies I'm glad I landed where I did with no experience. They have been very good to me, including getting a brand new truck 9 months in.

7. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Do they ever run you into Ontario?

8. Ckxtreme

Ckxtreme Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2015
    A couple guys have gone for a few loads this summer, but from what I gather that was a first, and I havent gone personally. I'm AB, SK, BC.

9. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Ah right on.... Stick where you are, they're a good company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.